Fuzz- Pink Floyd, QOTSA

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by inhuman, Jan 25, 2012.

1. LocustXReign

LocustXReign Member

Idk man, I'm a pretty big fan myself and I can get some pretty nasty QUOTSA sounding stuff out of the tone reaper (which hasn't found many fans in the legit tone bender camp either way) with a p-90 LP. I think the key is in how your mids are set; with the mid knobs up on my Hiwatt it does the trick. That said, I think half that battle is how you approach your playing, and Josh sounds like Josh regardless of the guitar/amp/colorful lil' box.

Love your user handle, btw.

2. LocustXReign

LocustXReign Member

[​IMG]

2...3? Octave boxes. Yeesh.

3. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

On my last board, I ran that same octave set up (for me it was multiplexer into ultimate octave into micro POG). It was awesome. I switched to FoxRox Octron 2 into Micro POG eventually.

LocustXReign, I agree its more about the EQ than the dirt, IMO at least. I used to have most of Homme's pedals (no echodrive though....) and the closest I can get to his tone is an EQ into a cranked amp. I've never had his amp or guitars though, I imagine those could help one get close. For me, Homme is a huge inspiration, but I realized that trying to copy his tone defeats the purpose of that inspiration, for me at least. To me the real inspiration is that he has managed to truly make his own sound, even in this day and age, when it seems like its all been done.

4. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

I also gave up my own personal research (which kept on going for years, to an extent that I was thinking of making a site like the Gilmourish one - and then I thought it would be a bit unfair to Josh's efforts as well). The trick, if I could boil it down to one zen-like tip, would be to stop checking out his gear completely after a while and approach things from your own angle, especially if it involves unconventional thinking. For my own needs though, I get my Queens tones from the Ultimate Octave into the Maestro Parametric Filter (which as a matter of fact I sold today) set to boost a narrow almost wah-like range around 440 Hz, and my Kyuss tones from a Jetter Blue set right on the onset of grit, both on squeaky clean high headroom amps set really loud and bassy.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  5. ran_dizolph

ran_dizolph Member

Can't say much about the Floyd side, but a big part of Josh's tone is his Parametric EQ. The Maestro's are tough to find, but Stone Deaf FX has the PDF-1, which I have, and it's awesome for dialing in all kinds of tones, and in terms of QOTSA, the mid-cranked squack and such.

Fuzz-wise, it depends. I know a lot of his tone circa SFTD came from Super Hard-ons blasting through Ampeg V4's, so once you get the EQ part of it, you can just find a fuzz/drive you like.

6. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

I can tell you, after owning a Maestro for years and experimenting with all sorts of graphic or parametric EQs (also with a wah inductor), that it can be very easily reproduced without getting the Stone Deaf pedal, who tried to promote it as the "secret ingredient" to QOTSA's sound in an attempt to get some extra customers. It reminds me of the early days of Homme mania, where people in forums were saying that the magic lies in the... Ovation Ultra GP or the old DiMarzio Super 3s that it had (they were of course changed later to Seymour Duncans, and then Josh kept changing guitars and people gave up).

7. ran_dizolph

ran_dizolph Member

Hehe...well, it worked on me! No complaints...does seem to add a nice touch to whatever tone I'm dialing in.

8. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

It certainly helps, but it's not a secret ingredient... any EQ, if dialed correctly with a narrow Q, can give that vocal "oooh" that Josh likes in the mids. He also had a Dunlop Q Zone and a Boss EQ pedal just for that purpose.