Fuzz power question - Fuzz guys chime in!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TravisE, Jan 31, 2012.

1. TravisE

TravisE Member

I have a killer sounding fuzz by Hudson called a Mr. Soul that a good friend gave me. I love the thing, really. Lately, I haven't been using it because everytime I do, I replace the battery, play at a rehearsal or gig, forget to unplug it after playing and, next time I plug up, it's dead. Never fails...I CAN NOT remember to unplug it. Can I just hook one of those 9v battery end things that work with a PP2 (I have one on an old MXR Micro Amp) and plug it in? I usually use carbon batteries with it for, what the cork sniffers would say is the best tone, but I'd give up 5% of the tone to not have to replace the battery every time I use it.

What do you think? Will I give up way more of that great sound than I'm thinking? Also, any chance it would hurt the pedal?

2. RocksOff

RocksOff Member

Take the battery out, plug it in, worry no more.

3. TravisE

TravisE Member

This pedal doesn't have a 9v plug. I'd have to use a battery clip that's a reverse of the one that's in the pedal.

4. CodeMonk

CodeMonk Member

5. TravisE

TravisE Member

Hmm. Interesting. The clip/wire that I would be using looks something like this:

[​IMG]

Correct me if I'm wrong but, since this is basically replacing the battery and hooks to the pedal in the same +/- fashion as the battery, the polarity would likely be correct, right?

6. amp_surgeon

amp_surgeon Member

Are you handy with a soldering iron?

Make a patch cable with a TRS plug on the end that's going to go into the input jack of the fuzz pedal. Hook up the tip and sleeve as normal. Solder a single wire to the ring and another single wire to the sleeve. Run these both out the back of the plug shell, and connect them to a switch, preferably one that you can tell from a distance if it's on or off.

If you're worried about ugly then get a tiny plastic project box, drill holes on opposite sides, and pass the patch cable through it. Mount your switch on the box.

Basically, this does exactly the same thing that removing the plug does. Disconnecting the ring from the sleeve opens the battery circuit. The advantage of this approach is that you don't have to change anything inside your pedal. You don't even have to open it up. And it will work with the majority of pedals. The disadvantage is that there will be junk hanging onto your patch cable which you might find visually unpleasant, no matter how much you try to pretty it up. You also have to remember to flip the switch. If your only problem is remembering to pull the plug then maybe wrapping some bright red tape around the shell would be a better solution. The tape ought to get your attention when you're packing up your pedal board.

7. Gretsch47

Gretsch47 Member

I use these for (2) of my pedals (one a fuzz and the other an old ROSS phaser) no problem, plugs into my PP2)

8. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

That type of cable comes in two variants - one that's meant to be used with the battery clip inside the pedal (to hook up a power supply to a pedal that normally only takes batteries), and another that's meant to let you run an emergency battery (9v battery outside of the pedal, with the DC plug connected to the pedal's adapter jack). Those two are wired differently, and are not interchangeable.

What you need is a cable where the positive and negative connectors match those of a 9v battery (IIRC, the smaller connector being positive, and therefore hooked up to the sleeve/barrel on the DC plug). Since you already have one that works with the Micro Amp, you could definitely use that one.

But... the polarity thing CodeMonk was talking about is the ground polarity of the pedal. Most pedals are regular negative ground (battery negative goes to ground), but a few are positive ground. Those can not be powered via daisy-chain - they need a separate, isolated power source (with the correct plug polarity etc). Your pedal - being described as a vintage-style germanium fuzz pedal - is most likely to be positive ground. So to power it, you'd need a separate adapter or an isolated output on something like the PP2+. Also, be aware that due to its construction (no power supply option, simple stripboard design etc), it could be without any form of polarity or overvoltage protection. Be very careful when hooking it up, so you don't accidentally fry it.

9. TravisE

TravisE Member

The cable came with the PP2+ that I'll be using. Will that be okay? Seems like it should.

10. Blunder

Blunder Supporting Member

I agree. Hook it up the wrong way once and you will fry the transistors.
    Not sure if the PP2 gives you the option of positive ground cables.
    Another option is to install a toggle switch or on/off pot to kill the battery when not in use. Easy mods. The toggle option will require committing to drilling a small hole in the enclosure. You probably won't be able to fit the on/off pot in the Hudson enclosure due to it having jacks on the top.

11. groovington

groovington Member

Go on the voodoo labs website and email someone (info@voodoolab.com), or check their forum (http://www.voodoolab.com/forum/index.php) and post your question in there. When I first got my PP2+ I always had questions like this and always got my answer within 24 hours. The forum even has a voodoo labs guy answering a bunch of questions in there so you can trust what they tell you. Even when I sent an email, the person who replied looked into the info on pedals they were unsure about and told my what my options were to make it work.

12. duende

duende Member

Fuzzes sound best with batteries. PSU's (even the one's with sag controls) just don't cut it IMO.

Just sayin... You might want to just work on that memory. I suggest omega 3's!

13. CodeMonk

CodeMonk Member

I'm can't remember, but I think that a reverse polarity cable comes with the PP2 along with the rest.
    But that is different that the cable that was posted above.

14. VHS analog

VHS analog Member

What kind of transistors are in it? It would be good to see a gut shot as well.