Fuzz quest.....need your input

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by macmax77, Aug 13, 2008.

1. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

I only want input on the pedals mentioned:

1-Dunlop JH
    2-Fulltone '69
    3-Mjm London Fuzz
    4- Retroman Sybil

I was interested on a Dam , but those are too hard to get and i am not going to wait.

What can you tell me about the above pedals, will the Dunlop(please forget it is mass made) do the trick?
    Is it as good as the others?
    Is the '69 really double as good as the price is?
    what about the other two?

I am looking for an ugly sounding MF, gritty, mad,even a bit dark and bassy, angry fuzz.

Which one of the ones above will do the trick?

2. Brian Maestro

Brian Maestro Member

THe 69 is now double the price because they aren't being made any more. I'd say a Fuzz Factory

3. ungarn

ungarn Member

I liked the MJM better than the '69 honestly...just keep the fuzz level maxed out and use your guitar volume to select the desired amount of fuzz...

4. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^

I would get a AM sunface any day over the 69!

5. macmax77

gutural sounds...
    anyone?

6. Original_Fire

Original_Fire Member

I know you only wanted input on the 4 you mentioned, but I think a Fuzz Factory really might be what you're looking for. They cover a pretty wide range of fuzz tones, and they get that sort of "gutural" sounding fuzz. Also, I saw a 69 for sale in the emporium at a reasonable price earlier today. Might just want to get one and check it out, and if you don't like it the resale value will more than cover another good fuzz. My .02.

7. Original_Fire

Original_Fire Member

BTW, I'm not just going off reviews of the Fuzz Factory; I previously owned one and think very highly of them, but it was just too much fuzz for me :crazy lol.

8. CALI68

CALI68 Member

I totally agree! I did a clip that included one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHWAPWgmhQs

In that clip I used a Klon after it to smooth it out but I have recently found out that the CMATMODS Signa Drive (in center position) is THE BEST partner for that fuzz. MJM Lond + CMATMODS Signa Drive = GOD-like fuzz tone! The Signa is only $135 and MJM is about $200! Very reasonable price for such amazing tone!!!!

I'd also add that the Dunlop Hendrix Fuzz Face is WAAAAY underrated! That pedal is GREAT too!

-Chris

9. steinwand

steinwand Member

get the MJM London Fuzz in the small enclosure with outside bias knob.
    The other three can't shake a stick at it for those thick and gnarly fuzzface sounds.
    Besides the Sunface NKT (maybe the Hartman), no fuzz does the cleanup with guitar volume better.

Couple the MJM with a rangemaster (BYOC Triboost i.e.) and you have the
    Sunlion architecture.

10. m@2

m@2 Member

really depends on how much FUZZ you want/need. the '69 is a great pedal, but not at all like a fuzz factory (which to me was way TOO fuzzy/hard to control). If you want more of a dynamic fuzz, one that can cleans up nicely with guitar volume, the '69 is good... but for the $$$ I'd get a Sunface (you are really paying a premium for a '69 due to no longer in production) . of couse YMMV, IMHO etc.

11. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

MJM London Fuzz :)

and true the new Dunlops are great too!

12. qotfsa13

qotfsa13 Member

There is a D*A*M 1966 on Ebay presently!

13. goldenboy

goldenboy Member

Based on that, I think a silicon based one would be more what you're looking for. No?

I have 3 geranium based fuzz pedals and they are all a really great smooth fuzz sound. Now I too want a real nasty one - the '70 sounds pretty cool based on the sound clip.

14. 4styx

4styx Member

There's a video of 69 vs Sweetsound Montery on Youtube.The Sweetsound smokes the 69 IMO.

15. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

I had one and thought it was great also- I definitely have some seller's regret w/ that one. In the meantime, I'm loving the JHF1- great sounding fuzz and cleans up a lot better than I thought it would.

16. goldenboy

goldenboy Member

Actually the demo of the Fultone '70 I ws thinking of was the Pro Guitarshop demo.

17. macmax77

too much high mids , at least the one i heard, i am more for low mids, bassy.

18. macmax77

NOICE!!!!!!!!!!
    Which one of the London Fuzzes is it????

19. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

If you're looking for nasty, I think you'd want to go for a three-transister Tone Bender style fuzz, or at least a silicon. I can recommend the Fulltone 70 for silicon, especially with single coils. I also have the 69 and Soul Bender; both excellent, but both out of production. D*A*M's 1966 is an excellent Tone Bender style fuzz, very spitty and nasty, but as you say they're very tough to score. Of your choices, I'd suggest going for the new Jimi Fuzz ... silicon nastiness. The clips on proguitardemo.com is very cool sounding.

20. macmax77

the 2 pedals i loved the most (only heard the clips) were the D*A*M Sonic titan and MKII

ahhh, also the '66, wow, those pedals rock, that is what i would like, but yes, they are tough to score.

i don't know if i am using the terms correctly, but the only F '69 i ever tried with a dying battery, sounded super cool, and it also did the smooth thing, plus it looks cool, heheheheh.

i went to pgs and heard the Hendrix Fuzz demo, sounded pretty good, i think it is a winner for the price, but they are all great pedals,
    it seems everyone loves the new dunlop, guess i'll have to go to the store and try one.

guys, this is my first fuzz, i don't want it to sound like one of my od's or distortions.

Thanks , i will consider all of your thoughts and advices , you guys are great!