Fuzz question for all you Fuzz-heads!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jaradc, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Jaradc

Jaradc Member

A little over 3 months ago i started "getting into fuzz". Personally i find it more practical than an overdrive, and i dig the nasty sound! I loaded up on a few fuzz pedals here and there; Gypsy Fuzz, Fulltone 70'. Now i am in the market for a germanium fuzz. I have considered the Fulltone 69', but im also looking into the DAM pedals, even though i know absolutely nothing about them. Is there any other pedals i should be researching that may meet my needs? Thanks!

2. Franklin

Franklin Member

The Sun Face by Analogman is an awesome germanium fuzz, it excels at cleaning up with the vol knob on your guitar for some cool OD tones!

3. hecticone

hecticone Member

I like fuzz also and had a 69 fuzz face that I used for years. But the Trifecta has taken its place. With the capabilities of 3 different fuzz circuits that sound really nice I couldn't turn it down.

4. MrMunky

MrMunky Silver Supporting Member

Even moreso than Silicon Fuzz face clones, germanium Fuzz Faces and their clones are all over the map. I have gone through tons and tons of them, and have snagged a handful that I think really sound excellent. Some of them are exactly the same circuit by exactly the same manufacturer, but they sound different. I have 3 Analogman germanium fuzzes that are entirely different in tone (one of them has different transistors than the other 2) and two MJM London Fuzzes that sound entirely different from one another. I have had a couple other MJMs that share the same circuit that sounded ok, and one or two that sounded less than stellar.

The problem with recommending a good germanium fuzz by brand name, is that this variability makes it difficult for me to predict how the particular one that you acquire will sound. I have only heard 3 germanium fuzz face types that are consistent with one another. They vary an audible amount, but not so much as to mark the difference between "Stellar" and "awful"

1) The NEW Dunlop Reissue Red Fuzz Face (the one with no smile). In recent years dunlop changed their approach to the Fuzz Face. The older Dunlops with the smiley face are wildly inconsistent and mostly bad. On the new ones they started being selective about and matching their transistors, though, from what people say, the transistors are nothing spectacular. The result is a predictably decent sounding germanium fuzz. These newer dunlops are fun because they offer a good amount of gain, though the high end isn't as sweet as what you'll hear on a really excellent fuzz face.

2) The Fulltone 69. These machines are significantly more expensive than the Dunlop Fuzz Face now that they're discontinued (and therefore all of a sudden sound so much better) and slightly less consistent, but on average sound a lot better than the Fuzz Face.

3) The Analogman NKT Sunface. These machines used to be more expensive than the Fulltone, but not so much anymore. These machines are my favorite of the three I list here, though they can be a little bit picky about which amp you use. This machine does not offer a lot of gain (though for a while Analogman was offering a higher-gain version; I have not heard one of these), but it is the weapon of choice if you want to use it to get that "clean Hendrix" texture by rolling down your volume control. If you have heard Hendrix's live clean tones and wondered why you can't get those tones with just your marshall, you will finally get the answer when you try this technique with a Sunface.

I speak only about Fuzz-Face clones here. Other germanium fuzzes like the Big Muff and their progeny are a different story. I have played with a Trifecta, and I liked it a lot. But a fuzz face it is not.

5. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

6. gravy

gravy Member

check out tone benders=british majesty

7. charmboy

charmboy Member

+1 on the Sun Face!
    Run it into an already nicely pushed amp and you will be in heaven. Incredible array of tones at your guitar's volume knob and right hand touch.

8. Mr. Kite

Mr. Kite Member

MJM is pretty cool, email him and tell him how you want it to sound and he'll build it. He tunes pedals for Philip Sayce for goodness sake, he can nail a tone for us mortals. I can personally vouch that he has a batch of killer transistors.

9. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

As far as I'm concerned, the NKT Sunface is the final word on germanium Fuzz Face clones. If you're searching for the Hendrix at Monterey Pop/Cream sound, look no further. And if you require one with a bit more gain, then you can get one with the higher-gain NKT275 transistors (with the extra gain, you do sacrifice a bit of the cleanup capability that you would get with the regular NKT's, but it depends on what's more important to you). I could not be happier with mine. The new/old stock 60's/70's NKT275's are the real deal; much deeper and more toneful than any of the new NKT's. Once you get one of these pedals, you're search for the ultimate Ge Fuzz Face clone will be over. The best of the best, IMO.
    When it comes to Tonebender MKll clones, the D.A.M. MKll (w/ three OC-81D trannies) has the best reputation. There's also the Sweet Sound Pro Bender. I have one and it's awesome.

10. geetarboy

geetarboy Member

I tried a lot of fuzzes and my search ended with Analogman's Sunface NKT. IMO, it can't be beat for ge fuzz face tones.

11. gururyan

gururyan Member

Can't believe I'm the first to say it, but MJM. Definitely look into MJM pedals. Mike is a great guy and I have 4 of his fuzz pedals ON my board.

12. aeonlux

aeonlux Member

analogman Sunface/Sunlion FTW! :AOK

cheers,
    Ian

13. GuiltySpark

GuiltySpark Supporting Member

Also on the Fuzz hunt. Sounding like the Sunface is a candidate... can y'all comment on how this reacts in different places in the chain? Pre/post wah, etc.?

14. meterman

meterman Member

MJM London is my favorite so far for germ, Foxrox Hot Silicon for Si, and MJM Foxey for Big Muff....