Fuzz reccomendations please.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rob2001, Jul 5, 2006.

1. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Hi all, running a Marshall 4104 combo, sd-1, teese pic wah and some stuff in the added loop sometimes. I tried a Dano french toast just to see if I even wanted a fuzz. I was quite suprised. I always thought a fuzz was all shrill and nasty but with the tone turned down I got some super fat tones. I had no idea FAT was part of the fuzz thing. So i'm kinda diggin the Dano but I know there are better units. Thinking i'd spend in the $100.00 to $150.00 range. I also dig the octave thing. It was kindof subtle with the dano but it added some sparkle that was cool. So on my short list are, Fulltone Octave Fuzz, Fulltone 69 or 70, Ultimate octave, and a Foxx Tone Machine. Suggestions are appriciated. Thanks, Rob

2. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

I luv da fuzz. I've owned about 6 over the past 9 months. I think you should check out Retroman- http://www.retroman-music.com/ and MI Audio. Also if you go to places like Tonefactor.com you can see tons of different fuzz boxes. Sometimes they have sound clips on Tonefactor or you can to the manufactuers site to find clips. That helped me a lot. I was able to hear a lot of boxes and figure out the ones I wanted to try.

3. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

Haven't played one, but heard clips and everyone raves about the Lovepedal Karl. Just slightly out of your $ range, but close.

4. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

There was a thread here just a while (yesterday) that listed two pedals that simply blew me away . . . the sites had video and samples that were unbelievable . . .\

and the pedals in question were:

Prescription Electronics Experience Fuzz pedal - it has a built in 'swell' feature, which allows you to have a sorta faux-backward thing going and sound just like Jimmi
    and the
    Z-Vex Fuzz Factory - which lets you do some outrageous noise making and feedback tweaking

also in that lattter vien is the Catalinbread Stallion-Teaser

also, I saw the most amazing thing on eBay: Z-vex has a Fuzz Factory with a built-in Theramin that lets you tweek the feedback and noise shaping function in the way that you would a Theramin: through proximity of foot to the pedal (a la: Dazed and Confused live (or was that Whole Lotta Love . . . eons ago?)) its called the Probe

5. ahltarocka

ahltarocka Supporting Member

The Sweet by Frantone is a great germanium fuzz with gobbs of sustain.

ROCKON!!!!!:RoCkIn

6. p.snail

p.snail Member

I just tried a Seymour Duncan Tweak Fuzz today for the first time. Very cool pedal. 6 voicings and true bypass. You can grab them for like $99 new I think and they are built solid. Mine's on hold up at work right now.

7. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

+1 on Retroman! I seem to be endorsing him here a lot. I love my Sybil, really versatile . I have been GASing to try one of his Lola's next.:dude

8. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Always willing to agree on the SYBIL love!:AOK

9. Antero

Antero Member

The ZVex stuff is pretty kickass - my friend is rocking a Woolly Mammoth on bass, which sounds just huge.

I've got an Effector 13 Soda Meiser, which is one of the sickest things I've ever seen. The low end on the intensity scale is like a Muff, the high end more deranged upper-octavey Fender Blender sort of chaos.

10. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Check out these two smaller manufactures:

Barge concepts and Phoenix custom electronics

I swear by the PCE LAdy Stardust fuzz, but the guy behind the operation, Alex makes a ton of other fuzz pedals. Heres a link to his website: http://www.phoenixcustomelectronics.com/home.asp

Barge concepts pedals look pretty sweet. I've been fighting the urge to pick one up for months. Heres that link: http://www.bargeconcepts.com/

11. Medication

Medication Member

12. g3rmanium

g3rmanium Member

I don't think the French Toasts/Tone Machines octave is subtle at all. Max out the gain, turn down the guitar volume and the tone to half and it's very present with my guitar.

13. g3rmanium

g3rmanium Member

If you already have a Dano French Toast, there's no need for a Tone Machine because they are identical (the bypass thing is probably different though).

Another thing that looks cool is the Studio Electronics Wolftone Helium.

And isn't the Ultimate Octave just another clone of the Tone Machine?

14. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Might wanna also check out the Lovepedal Karl Fuzz if you're into the octave thing. The ultimate octave by fulltone rocks as well!

15. g3rmanium

g3rmanium Member

You obviously have never heard the Shin-Ei/Kimbara Fuzz Tone.

16. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Wow!!! Lots of FUZZZZZ!! Thanks. I'll have to look at all of them. I might be back with some questions in a few days! Thanks to all, Rob