Fuzz recommendation for a Blackface circuit?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sweetpea, Sep 18, 2005.

1. sweetpea

sweetpea Supporting Member

I will be taking delivery on a Fargen Blackbird(4-6v6 at 30 watts) very soon. I play strats and am looking for a articulate fuzz ala Hendrix and EJ that will match up well with the above amp circuitry. I am interested in the soundclips on the MJM site, specifically the London Fuzz 2 silicon version. Hopefully a fuzz that will cut through and sound great live.
    I have a couple of other OD's (timmy and Blues Devil) that also could be used in series to help get the fuzz cooking. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.
    :D

2. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

I would look at a germainum type fuzz cause the silicon will sound pretty harsh with a BF circuit,as the BF circuit is on the treble side of the tone and silicone will sound kinda of edgy,I use a FoxxTone Machine and does a Hendrix thing well.

3. sweetpea

I have reading about the Analogman NKT with the sundial. Sounds like a good option.

4. DerekMinnich

DerekMinnich Member

Find a used Pro Analog Scary Face if your looking for a Fuzzface type sound. Nothing better out there. I have compared mine to the Analogman Sunface NKT w/ Sunface which is regarded as a top notch Fuzz Face clone and another super hyped fuzz face type pedal and it smoked them both.....no contest. It's got this killer texture and sustain that I haven't found in any other FF clones. Killer for all things Hendrix and more. Works great with volume knob of guitar. Tons of useable settings(lots of fuzz faces only have 1 sweet spot, this one isn't like that). I couldn't be happier. Scotty isn't making them anymore but they pop up now and then. Even if you pay up to 190 used...you'll be happy because they're the bees knees.

I used mine with a Cornell 45/50 plexi which is a JTM45/Plexi type amp which is a little different, if anything fender closer to tweed. Right now I'm using it with a รท13 FTR37 on the clean channel which lends itself more toward the blackface end of the spectrum but a little more custom sounding (4 6V6's, very american).

BTW...I've owned both the MJM London Fuzz I and London Fuzz II (thats the Germanium and the Silicon)....Mike Milcetic is a super nice guy, one of the nicest in the buisness. That being said, the pedals weren't what I'd call great in comparison to my standards now. They were farty and overly dark, just not in the same park as the Pro Analog. They also only had one great setting and that was it.

5. aquadog

aquadog Member

Pedalworx mcfuzz will work amazingly well. Plus, its very affordable, and comes with unlimited free tweaks and repairs from bob mcbroom.

6. sweetpea

Derek it sounds like you have had alot of experience with some top rated fuzzes. I will keep my eye out for a Scary Face. The Fargen I am getting is also a 4-6v6 amp so it should be a fairly similiar match to the clean channel on your %13.
    Now just to find one......;)

Aquadog, Keeley is making some great pedals these days. I have owned a couple myself. The clips on his website didn't really do it for me. All of this D tuning and no clips of strats. But I suppose I shouldn't discount it completely. Thanks for the suggestion.

7. El Jimbo

El Jimbo Member

You might also want to check out the new fuzzes from MI Audio. One's a germanium, the other silicon. Lots of tweakibility in them to get your sound...
    www.miaudio.com

8. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

This is what I have and it's been used with '65 bandmaster and DR. Sounds great.

9. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Member

The Lovepedal Black Beauty Balance has been giving me killer tones through my Super Reverb!! Its silicon and germanium with a blend knob, really versatile!

10. DerekMinnich

DerekMinnich Member

Thats my un-named pedal I compared my Pro Analog to. I had that pedal for a while and my initial impression was that it was decent. After a while it started bugging me though because the pedal was either extremely nasally, or really woofy. There was a somewhat happy medium, but it didn't really work too well for me(which doesn't mean it won't for someone else).

BTW Josh, some of the clips I've been hearing of yours lately have been absolutely killer. Your sounding great with that Chapin! Can't beat a neck that feels that good either.

11. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Member

Hey Derek, thanks for the kind words! The Chapin is unreal, but you already kow that!!!
    As far as the balance, I'm really surprised because I really am digging it. I can't get a bad sound out of the thing. I'm feeling that way about all the lovepdals though, I'm just blown away. I've never been as impressed with any gear, hell I just swapped out half my touring rig for the lovepedal versions. They just all "feel" better than anything else. Of course thats just my opinion, but I think Sean really has something amazing going.

12. Euthymia

Euthymia Member

Sweetpea,

Take a listen to the clips at my site,

http://www.euthymia.org/

Click on the link for the Crucible Fuzz Si.

That box is based pretty closely on the type of silicon FF that Johnson uses.

Good luck, and I hope you like my product(s)!