Fuzz Songs & Clones

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Douge, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Douge

Douge Member

With all the good Fuzz Clones out there, which ones would nail these fuzz songs?? Or come close??

Reelin' In The Years-Steely Dan
    Spirit In The Sky-Norman Greenbaum
    No Quarter-Led Zeppelin
    Heart Full Of Soul-The Yardbirds
    Over Under Sideways and Down-The yardbirds
    No Time-The Guess Who
    Psychotic Reaction-Count Five
    Purple Haze-Jimi Hendrix
    Bold As Love-Jimi Hendrix
    Satisfaction-The Rolling Stones
    Who's That Lady-The Isley Brothers
    In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida-Iron Butterfly
    I Had Too Much To Dream-The Electric Prunes
    Incense & Peppermints-Strawberry Alarm Clock
    Revolution-The Beatles
    Pushing Too Hard-The Seeds

2. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

Oh, you want the all-in-one fuzz... As far as I can tell, they haven't quite made THAT one yet. The closest I've found for that is the Z Vex Fuzz Factory. They're kind of diffficult to dial in, and will be confusing until you spend the necessary time with it. But overall, it's the most versatile fuzz I've found. He also makes a less expensive Vextor model as well, but I haven't tried that one yet. ;)

If that won't work for you, then here another 3-4 pedals that can get you much closer to the sounds you listed:
    • Effector 13 makes a few pedals for that slashed-speaker sound ala Norman Greenbaum. I've got a Soda Meister, although the Torn's Peaker looks pretty promising too.
    • An Experience Pedal will pretty much nail the Jimi thing to a T, and can also get that Guess Who sound. Without splitting hairs over the whole PNP/NPN/silicon thing, this pedals pretty much the ticket for a lot of Hendrix sounds.
    • A Mosrite Fuzzrite IS the pedal used by Iron Butterly, and I suspect also by the Beatles & SAC back then. The best clone I know of is made by Ashbass. FWIW, it's also the most positively reviewed pedal I've seen at harmony-central.
    • A Yardbox is a great choice for the early British invasion stuff ala the Yardbirds and the Stones.
    Hope that helps!

3. Medication

Medication Member

+1,000,000 Fuzz Factory

4. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

OMG!!

After looking at that vid, I want one! how much do these go for, street?

5. pfflam

and another OMG . . .. I love the swell feature on that Experience pedal . . . very . . . . um . . . Experienced!

6. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

Looks like someone's been bitten by the Fuzz Bug! :AOK

Yeah, those 4 or 5 pedals will pretty much get you any mainstream fuzz tone you could wish for. If you really want to check out the sicker side of fuzz sounds, check out Death By Audio. They make some of the most heavy industrial fuzzes out there. The Sound Saw is my favorite of their pedals - placed before a Fuzz Factory it's just the ticket for that Jesus and Mary Chain / Lush type of sound. Definately not for traditionalists or purists, though. He he he... :D

7. pfflam

Damn . . . now I gotta start buying Lotto tickets . . . . ;)

8. SuperSoundMusic

SuperSoundMusic Member

I am curious about the Iron Butterfly Fuzz though. Anyone know which one was really used originally?

9. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Check out the Sybil by Retroman. It can do a wide variety of fuzzes out of one pedal and is a very stable fuzz. It has the ability to blend the Si and Ge sides or use the Si side to drive the Ge side. Each side has its own level, tone and fuzz controls and they can blended in parallel or in series.
    You're not going to find EVERY fuzz sound in one box, but the Sybil offers a really wide range. I have been very impressed with it and am still finding new blended fuzz tones.

10. Serious Poo

As I posted above, Eric used a Mosrite Fuzzrite. If you really want to NAIL that tone, play a Mosrite Ventures guitar through a Fuzzrite and then through a Fender Twin. These pedals are obviously very collectable now, and originals in good condition can get pretty expensive on eBay. Hence the link to a clone.

11. g3rmanium

g3rmanium Member

Spirit in the sky is a very unusual waveform. Haven't found anything yet that sounds like this, though a French Toast has a similar feeling.

Jen-made Vox Tonebender is pretty good for that.

Any ****** 60's fuzz will probably do that tone.

;-)

Maestro Fuzz-Tone FZ-1A. Don't go for the FZ-1, I can't get it to sound like Satisfaction.

Any 60's fuzz straight into the console.

The Kimbara/Shin-Ei Fuzz-Tone FY-2 sounds somewhat similar.

12. SuperSoundMusic

SuperSoundMusic Member

Cool, thanks for repeating that. Sorry I missed it. I've always wondered exactly what he used.

13. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Agreed on all counts!!!