1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Fuzz taste test tonight...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by schwa, May 23, 2011.

1. schwa

schwa Member

I did a bit of a "Fuzz tasting" this evening. It was interesting, I thought I would share just in case anyone was interested.

The pedals I tried were:
    Zvex FuzzFactory
    Fulltone Ultimate Octave
    EH Big Muff Pi
    AnalogMan NKT White Dot

All the pedals were played into a 4 hole marshall with a Strat. Marshall was turned up, but a Faustine attenuator was used.

The FuzzFactory was wery versatile. Tons of different tones, but I didn't feel like it had a solid one to go to. I think this would be cool to use for a particular song/riff, but wouldn't want it to be my only fuzz.

The Fulltone UO is a pretty nice pedal. Very usable as a fuzz, and the octave adds versatility. I liked that this pedal had a lot of usable tones throughout the range of the drive knob.

EH Big Muff Pi. I'm not sure this is a really a fuzz, but I included it just the same. This pedal is as subtle as a brick - a towering waterfall of distortion. For the music I play it doesn't come up much, but if it's called for, it might be just the thing.

For me, the SunFace was the winner. It has the least gain of the group, but the most "usable" gain. Boosted with a Timmy, it could get as brutal as the others. (well, maybe not as much as the muff)

Fuzz is a challenging pursuit, but a lot of fun. I think any of these pedals might work for certain things, but definitely think the SunFace goes more places that I want to go.

Next up - I'll be trying 4 Fuzzface pedals to see what I like best...

2. corbs

corbs Supporting Member

4 really different pedals... nice.

I'm looking forward to the FF madness shootout 2000 !!!

3. Stratm69

Stratm69 Member

Eh, not a very fair Fuzz test. All are worlds apart from one another. The Sunface is a Fuzz Face variant, but you would be surprised at how many Fuzz Face clones differ from the Sunface as well as one another.

4. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

Well Said

5. niclake13

niclake13 Member

Throw the Skreddy Lunar Module in there.