FUZZ - the dvd documentary....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by welcometoashley, Jan 25, 2008.

1. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    just watched the documentary "FUZZ" last nite and really, really dug it... I encourage you guys to check it out as it has interviews with several pedal manufacturers. some people featured on it are Analog Mike, Keeley, scotty @ pro analog, donner, paul cochrane, bjorn juhl, D*A*M, john spencer, death by audio, skreddy, jeorge tripps, jon cusack, zachary vex, billy gibbons....

anyway, it made me want to buy even more pedals. but if you keep up with the threads in this forum it's a must-see....

2. utterhack

utterhack Member

I liked it, but it didn't really have anything to say about fuzz or (maybe more surprisingly) the booteek renaissance.

Fun for those who already know the players and the game, but I can't see it, f'rinstance, explaining to my gf how fuzz changed the world or why The Guy From Future Music's opinion is of interest.

It was cool to see that Proanalog Scotty exists though ;)

3. KazJY

KazJY Member

Where is this DVD available? I'd love to see this.

4. sandman

sandman Member

I was impressed by what Mr. Jack Waterson from Future Music had to say - or am I biased as a fan of a band he used to play in (Green On Red)? I don't think most of us would LIKE hearin' his opinions but most of them damn sure make sense to me.

Jon Spencer's the man for namechecking Jeffrey Evans from Gibson Bros and Neil Hagerty from ***** Galore days. He was equally nice&polite once when I was interviewing him...

5. Kappy

Kappy Member

I noticed a copy on Netflix.

"Fuzz: The Sound that Changed the World" 2007

Thanks for the heads up about this, I'll definitely rent it.

Dave

6. welcometoashley

+1... for me, it was interesting to actually put faces with the names of all the brands i've tried or have wanted to try....

7. welcometoashley

i bought a copy off of amazon.com for around $17.... when i looked for it on netflix a while back i don't think they had it yet. they probably have it now though...

8. utterhack

utterhack Member

Oh, completely agreed, plus he's just a great yarnspinner. But if you don't already know who he is and what Future's about, it's just kinda like "oh, here's a dude."

9. sandman

sandman Member

True dat.

I liked the movie overall. They touched most of the important or argued about subjects when it comes to boutique market.

10. Kappy

Kappy Member

I saw it yesterday (through Netflix -- took a while to get it after adding it to my queue). I liked it. I found it incomplete in many ways, but being a fan of gear like I am, it was definitely amusing (and GAS-inspiring). It should be a series though, and they should cover guits and amps too. That'd be fun.

P.S. Surprised the movie isn't talked about more here. I only found it mentioned in a couple threads.

11. jhfire

jhfire Supporting Member

I've had it in the top of my queue for months, there must be like 2 copies available. :horse

12. amz-fx

amz-fx Supporting Member

I bought a copy from Amazon and it just came in. I look forward to watching it.

regards, Jack

13. alteredsounds

alteredsounds Member

Some great bits on the dvd, got it for xmas, I hoped there might be more about vintage fuzz's than there was, also way too much time spent with the Death By Audio guys, waaaaaaaay too much!

14. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

+two

15. gregory49

gregory49 Member

+ten. I wanted to hear more from Mike, Bjorn, and Scotty!!!

16. iggs

iggs Member

I really liked it but as others have said ... not much to do about "Fuzz".

I hoped it was going to be more of a history of Fuzz and "the sound that changed the world" ... the title is quite misleading. Maybe that was the original intent but sure did not end up being so. It would've been much more interesting to really dig into where the fuzz sound came from, how the first circuits were designed, why and with what intent in mind and how did it all evolve from there.

One can learn much, much more about "history of fuzz" from AnalogMan's website then from watching the "documentary".

Entertaining doc none the less.

17. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

Yes, I think he needed to make it entertaining, that's how a documentary gets successful. People at film festivals would be bored out of thier minds hearing me talk about germanium transistors.

But maybe he will make a "geek" version with a few more of the hundreds of hours of filming he took.

18. sunken.anchor

sunken.anchor Member

No kidding. Mine still says something like "Very Long Wait" :jo

19. alteredsounds

alteredsounds Member

Mike, wasnt there talk years ago that u were doing a pedal documentary or something, cant remember the details, was ages back.

20. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

I'd totally buy the Geek version...