Fuzz, "Think Venus Isle" Which one

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Melodic Dreamer, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I was listening to Venus Isle by Eric Johnson yesterday. The song Lonely In The Night came on and as usual, I just wanted a fuzz. I'm needing one to go with a Suhr Strat into a Thd Flexi 50. What would be a good Fuzz for this particular style of tone? EJ's tone on that album is the type of Fuzz I like. I thought about a Fulltone '70, but I have heard mixed reviews.

Any suggestions?

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

i really like my BJF Candy Apple Fuzz. it has a "nature" knob that tailors the fuzz to what you'd like it. from a lofi buzz, to a smooth fat germanium sound, to an all out raging strident fuzz. great pedal.

for a straight up fat, thick, smooth fuzz, nothing sounds better than my Analogman Sunface NKT.

3. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Do you know where I might be able to hear some clips?

4. bullet69

bullet69 Member

lovepedal is selling the black beauty balance pedal again. click on the karl link on his website and it shows the bbb for sale also. i have heard from several people that it will get the e.j. fuzz tone.

5. chrisr0712

chrisr0712 Member

In addition to his old silicon fuzz face he admitted to using a Prescription Electronic Experience Pedal for several solo tracks.

6. drolling

drolling Member

The PE Experience is a real fun pedal, but they're inconsistent. I've played 4 of rthem and they all sounded different. The knobs & switches do look a bit dodgy, but the one I've had for years is still working perfectly.

If you go the Fuzzface route, just remember to remove the screws and use a rubber band to hold the pedal together - Eric claims they sound *much better* this way...

7. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

I don't really think it's a fuzz on the long solo/outro on Lonely in the night. I think it's just his regular lead tone setup:
    guitar-->tube driver--->cranked marshall.

8. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I pulled it up on my iTunes as I was reading this thread. I have to say that I have a hard time telling when he's using a fuzz, his tone is alwys so smooth. Check out Demeter's Fuzzulator, it's a pretty refined fuzz. Better yet get a Fuzz-Face, that's what he uses...

What a great solo...

This thread reminds me of my favorite gig I ever saw EJ play, I lived in Austin for a long time, and every Monday at Antone's they have the Blue Monday band with Derek O'Brian(gtr), Frosty(drums), Malford Milligan(vox), and Roscoe Beck(bass). I used to go every now and then when I wasn't giging myself, EJ was sitting in, all he was using was a Fuzz-Face into a BF Twin, that's it! It was by far the best performance, and tone I had ever heard from him. There were like 10 people there...

9. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

yep, the bbb will do fat fuzz face tones all day long. plus you can pull down the filter/tone for a brighter/raspy tone. killer pedal, I wish I had the cizash for two pedals when I had both the BBB and Karl at my house. The Karl is what I kept, but it's al little more outa control than the BBB, which is what I wanted anyway.

BBB=Smooth Fuzz

10. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I have been listening to the clips on the KR Musical site. I know there not exactly Eric, but I love them anyway. My Megavibe is awesome so I figure the Gypsy Fuzz is just as killer. I wonder if I can pull the tone I'm talking about from the Gypsy fuzz too.