Fuzz tone on "Rent I Pay"

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by j1mr, Feb 19, 2015.

1. j1mr

j1mr Member

2. jsytsma

jsytsma Member

Great band, great song. I am curious what the guys from Spoon use for gear because the guitar tone is impeccable.

This seems to be at some point Britt Daniel's pedalboard. Maybe that red one is a fuzz?

[​IMG]

3. jsytsma

jsytsma Member

Also, I know that he sometimes gets some Neutral Milk Hotel-Esque sounds by playing his acoustic through a dirty amp. That sometimes might appear fuzz-like

4. lobsterinmotion

lobsterinmotion Member

Slightly OT but does anyone know on which songs can be the Boss Chorus Ensemble heard?

5. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

Not sure, but there is heavy compression/limiting/distortion on the entire track which is contributing to the guitar sound you're hearing. Love Spoon.

6. jsytsma

jsytsma Member

Not even particularly sure it IS fuzz - it could be (with the gain set very low)...but yeah in general I'm hearing a more compressed/distorted sound

7. screwyloot

screwyloot Member

i know they used a JHS Colour Box extensively in studio for They Want My Soul

8. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

You know, that might just be it. There is some of that "overdriven board preamp" kind of sound in that clip.

9. crackbass

crackbass Supporting Member

Is it possible to simultaneously hate the guitar sound and yet absolutely love it in the song? Yea, I think it is.

I bet I could get that sound running an under-biased fuzz. Seems like I remember an EHX Germanium overdrive could get some tones like that with the bias turned way down.

10. enocaster

enocaster Member

I think that the red pedal is a SHO, I know he's used those in the past. Rent I Pay is one of the Dave Fridmann-produced tracks, so it's quite likely been distorted additionally in the mix stage.

I'm assuming the bridge (jump to 3:33) of The Mystery Zone is the CE-1 with a little delay.

11. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

Love this band and their sounds. I agree, most likely post effecting.

12. pdodge77

pdodge77 Supporting Member

A lot of the recorded Spoon "fuzz" tones are them overdriving the console. And the JHS Colour Box is great for approximating those sounds. The rhythm tone on "Rent I Pay" could be a dialed back version of that. It is a great sound! I'm sure it's nasty on its own, but it's perfect in the mix. Then again, pretty much everything is always perfect in the mix on every Spoon track.

13. lobsterinmotion

lobsterinmotion Member

You're right, that does sound like the Vibrato side of the CE-1. Thanks :)

14. Viral_Rock

Viral_Rock Member

To me the tele contributes a lot more to the character of the sound than anything else. I'd try a tele in the middle position with either range-master style boost or maybe an SD1 (something that cuts bass). Might not be as raspy as the track but should be close.

15. onebigholiday

onebigholiday Supporting Member

I've posted all of their pedalboards from the last tour in the Pedalboards of the stars thread.