Fuzz vs Tone control

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TheoDog, Apr 5, 2015.

1. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I am finally transitioning into using fuzz for drive.
    Just picked up FF mini Ge for a great price.
    I notice the tone control on the guitar has barely any effect when the fuzz is running. Is this normal? The observation is with my tele (Filtertron in neck) and DOT with basic humbuckers. I have slightly lower tone cap values all around, the the knob is very effective when clean and through a Prince of tone into a tweed princeton and 5e3.
    My previous Fuzz adventure with a Hartman bc108 was before I realized how effective the guitar volume/tone controls are.

2. SecondFloorTones

SecondFloorTones Member

In my experience the guitar kind of just triggers the fuzz when the volume on the guitar is full up, if that makes sense. I've had great use of the volume control, but for me the fuzz is warm enough and I don't need to roll off any high end. Again, there's not much left of the original signal from the guitar when everything is running full wick.

3. neville5000

neville5000 Supporting Member

My tone controls work well with all my fuzzes, but, you have to get used to how they work. They are definitely less efficient, and, like secondfloortones said, mostly you want all the highs you can get.

4. TheoDog

That is starting to make sense.
    I am wired a la 50"s scheme on both guitars. Tele is a .022 with a Fralin SP43 (leans to P-90) and a Fidelitron.
    DOT has a .018 and .015.
    and with the 50's wiring, as the volume rolls off, the tone control is less in the circuit, so as I roll off the volume to clean up the fuzz, there is even less of the tiny tone caps in the recipe.

I messed around with my Baritone that has a .1 cap and got some effect.

5. TheoDog

Does anyone use a guitar tone control with 2-knob Fuzz Face?

6. Seance

Seance Member

I've got an Eric Johnson Fuzz Face, which is silicon, not germanium, and
    it reacts really well to tone knob adjustments. There are some octave-ish
    sounds available if I dial the tone knob on the guitar all the way down.

7. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

The thing about fuzzes is that they add a lot of high harmonics AFTER the guitar signal, so turning down your guitar's tone control isn't going to have a lot of effect on how bright the signal coming out of the fuzz is. It may, however, change the impedance relationships between the pickups and the fuzz, which can result in really interesting changes in texture, or even pickup up new harmonics (like the octave thing mentioned above). The higher gain the fuzz is, the more unpredictable the result is going to be.

8. TheoDog

^ that's a great description.