Fuzz with semi-hollow/hollow bodies?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by djgroovy, Feb 9, 2012.

1. djgroovy

djgroovy Member

Ok, I haven't used fuzz pedals in many years and that was with an old telecaster. I loved that sound but have since moved on to mostly semi-hollow and hollowbody guitars. Any of you guys have any good experience with fuzz pedals with these and a Fender amp?

2. winkofaneye

winkofaneye Member

Gary Clarke Jr uses fuzz all the time with his hollowbody.Sounds glorious!

3. djgroovy

djgroovy Member

Suggestions to try? Humbuckers and p90s?

4. meterman

meterman Member

my fuzzes sound awesome with my semi-hollows but of course feedback is an issue. Germanium fuzzfaces are going to be lower gain than most others and will probably work better. Be prepared to roll of gain at the pedal and volume at the guitar to dial it in...

5. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

Our rhythm player uses a Gretsch 5120 through a Diaz Square Face, a Sun Face, and a Screwdriver.

6. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

In general, most fuzzes seem to sound better with single coils and p-90s. I find humbuckers a little too muddy any overwhelming with many fuzzes.

But, of course, it depends on the fuzz... Muffs and Fuzz Face clones like single coils and p-90s, but ToneBender types really dig humbuckers.

YMMV! Try some and have fun!

EDIT: A Screwdriver (mentioned ^^^) might get your feet wet with a fuzzy overdrive sound that will probably sound great with any guitar you throw at it.

7. TeamJA

TeamJA Member

Love the fuzz with my Collings I-35. The Lollar humbuckers seem to be low enough output and have enough clarity that they play nicely with my fuzzes.

Two favs, Peppermint and Sunlion w/ TI/UK.

8. fieldsroyal

fieldsroyal Member

I play an old Ibanez AS200 through a Fender Vibrosonic (w 15 inch speaker) - it loves fuzz - my faves - Fulltone 69 closely followed by Addrock Geranium.

9. redbeardrob

redbeardrob Member

just about anything will work, but like meterman said, roll the fuzz down a little on the pedal. maxing it out will feedback.