Fuzzbox mystery

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by w.b.s., Dec 6, 2005.

1. w.b.s.

w.b.s. Member

I have 3 fuzzes and I'm having the same problem with all of them.If I plug my guitars into any of them and then directly into my amp they sound muddy and indefined and the the volume pot's taper becomes abrupt.If I plug my digital delay(DD-3) between my guitar and the fuzz the sound is crisp and defined and cleans up nicely with the volume pot regardless if the delay is turned on or off.If I put my analog delay(E.H.dmm)between the guitar and fuzz the tone is muddy unless I turn the delay on then it sounds good.
    My guitar sounds great through all my other pedals.This only happens with fuzzes.I'm assuming the problem is my guitars all of which at some point in time have been rewired or all(?!) of my cables.Am I on the right track?Wrong impedance maybe?I'm totally baffled.Any suggestions are appreciated.Thanks

2. cuz/karl

cuz/karl Supporting Member

I'll bet your other delay that makes it sound good has a buffered bypass,right?

3. erksin

erksin Member

Yep - I think it's the Boss's buffer into the fuzzes that is having that effect. If your guitar was improperly wired, all your pedals would most likely be suffering the same issue.

If it sounds good to you having the Boss in front of the fuzzes, then problem solved!

4. cuz/karl

cuz/karl Supporting Member

I missed that he said it was a dd3.Alot of people like what the boss buffer does with a ge fuzz.

5. w.b.s.

w.b.s. Member

So this problem isn't that unusual?The way the volume pot reacts without the delay seems pretty strange.The ddm does have a buffer.I'll probably wire it for true bypass.

6. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

True bypass is hyped to the point that people shy away from buffers, but good ones can really help you out. It sounds like you need one, for whatever reason, so I'd just go with it. Some folks think it's a good idea to end your effects chain with a buffer, anyway.

Fuzzes are strange animals and can do weird things with effects such as wahs. FoxRox sells a wah retrofit to solve that particular problem. IMHO, the beauty of fuzzes is their instability and the fact that they dwell on the edge - just like rock and roll. :cool:

7. erksin

erksin Member

At what volumes are you using the Fuzzes? Fuzzes by nature tend to sound their best when the amp is cooking - if you're playing at bedroom volumes that could be your problem...

If they sound better when you have the Boss in front of them, why change that? Don't do the T/B mod - the Boss pedals have excellent buffers in them. For the amount of pedals you're running, you'll need a buffer of some sort to keep your high end intact.

8. g-nem

g-nem Member

Funny- it seems most times people say to put fuzzes before buffers! But if you need a buffer the axxess electroncs one seems to be the way to go.

http://www.axess-electronics.com/

9. w.b.s.

w.b.s. Member

I was thinking of doing the true bypass mod on my deluxe memory man reissue not the dd-3.It tends to color my tone when it's off.As far as volume goes,I get the same sound regardless of volume.Again I have to emphasis the volume pot is very abrupt from a whisper to loud and muddy with nothing in between.I'm willing to run the delay first but something just ain't right.What does a buffer do that my guitar can't?Hey thanks for the replies btw.
    P.S. maybe I should make a clip to demonstrate the problem.

10. sandman

sandman Member

hey W.B.S. which fuzz pedals do you have?

I wanna buy one for the first time...

Would CS-3 buffer do the trick since I wouldn't really want to put a delay before the fuzz?

11. w.b.s.

w.b.s. Member

I have a diaz square face an experience and a fulltone soul bender.They are all nice pedals but if you're new to fuzz I'd reccomend the fulltone.It's the easiest to get a grasp of.Don't know about the buffer.