1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fuzzbox Voodoo???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by HereIGoAgain, Feb 2, 2008.

1. HereIGoAgain

HereIGoAgain Member

I normally give an automatic "suck" rating to songs named after pieces of equipment, but I couldn't resist using this as the title of my thread.

I've asked before about OD's, distortions, and clean boosters, and I received lots of suggestions.

I forgot to mention fuzz pedals. I have OD, dist, and clean boost already, and everything else would be just part of the collection. I'd like to add a good fuzz, board my pedals and get my act together. :D Can you guys help me out again please?

Carrying forward the lessons learned:
    -Price Range first this time: $80-$130
    -Need true bypass, or no tone coloring in bypass mode.
    -Touch responsiveness would be good, but I understand that many fuzzes are either "on" or "off."
    -Gig reliability a must
    -Powered by batteries or a center-negative 9-Volt supply (the rest of my board is now running off of a OneSpot).
    -Again, lessons learned, handbuilt is fine, but current prodution is a must, and no "for damn ever" lead times.

I've been researching the Voodoo Labs Superfuzz and the VintageFX FuzzRiot. I've heard much about the Big Muff. Some folks adore them, some hate them. Someone in real life suggested the Sovtek Big Muff over the USA model - said it sounded better.

I think I've covered the bases. Thanks in advance.

2. burner

burner Member

I'm interested as well.

I'll tell ya' this....
    I recently bought a new issue Big muff and I hated it something awful!
    However, as mentioned, my friend has a Sovtek model and I actually like the sound of it.
    I've gone through a bunch of fuzz faces and most of them aren't loud enough unless you turn all the controls to max...and even then some of them don't have much boost.Occasionally you'll find one that does.
    I've been thinking about maybe picking another fuzz pedal up and I am particularly interested in the VooDoo Lab stuff because I really like the micro vibe I just picked up.It seems to get mixed reviews and it is a little noisy but I don't think I'll find a Univibe clone in that price range that sounds as much like the real thing.

Fuzz is on my list but I'm also interested in some sort of an Octavia clone.
    (looking at the VL Proctavia) In the mean time I bought a Dan-o French toast for $25. just to have one.

3. HereIGoAgain

HereIGoAgain Member

Let's bump this one back to the top.

4. pgissi

pgissi Member

The clips for the Voodoo Superfuzz are great and the Fuzzriot not so great. The Resonance control on the Superfuzz make it special.

Looks like I have to add this to the Gas list

5. HereIGoAgain

HereIGoAgain Member

The Superfuzz does sound cool. I found out later that the Fuzzriot clips were recorded direct (no amp). I'm not sure how this affects things.

Any info on the BBE Free Fuzz? MF has this and it's at a good price point, but it has mixed reviews.

6. pgissi

pgissi Member

Recording a hi impedance pedal direct without any sort of compensation is lacking for sure but ironically many old songs had their solos recorded this way, with the aid of more extensive post treatment of course.

A most infamous direct recording is the guitar in beatles revolution, its console channel pre-amp distortion. Works for that tune and of course was treated further during the mastering.

That Resonance control of the Superfuzz makes it a Fuzz that can get more than the one flavor fo fuzz, extremely useful

7. blackjack davey

blackjack davey Senior Member

The SuperFuzz is a little more reliable and tweakable whereas the FuzzRiot is really based solely on the Mosrite FuzzRite.

Out of those two, I would get the SuperFuzz. But I would also suggest contacting MonsterPiece for a customized flavor of Fuzz.

8. jgyn

jgyn Member

I have both the VintageFX Fuzzriot and the Voodoo Lab Superfuzz. Both're great.
    Fuzzriot's based on the Mosrite Fuzzrite.
    Superfuzz's " " Jordan Bosstone.

9. OrangeChannel

OrangeChannel Member

I just bought a superfuzz for $54...after a $65 + $10 credits due to purchasing a bass from MF...should be cool.

10. trushack

trushack Member

That new JH-F1 Fuzz Face that Dunlop is making is ridiculous. It's little bit higher than your price range at $150, but I just can't get enough of mine. It is true bypass, but can only be powered by a 9 volt. It is fairly responsiveness, though I've heard far more sensitive fuzzes than the Fuzz Face. Still, it will respond to your dynamics and volume knob. And there is some good variety to the tones as well.

11. theohartman

theohartman Member