Fuzzbrite, Merkin or Peppermint Fuzz?

sws2h

I'm looking for a cheaper Fuzzrite style fuzz pedal. Something nasty compared to my W&C TFR. Thoughts on these three pedals? I'm looking for Stooges nastiness

Don A

Gold Supporting Member
I had a Merkin for a while. It was a really cool pedal but my HBE UFO did what it did (and more) way better. The Merkin was not "lively" enough or something.

BlueSkyy

Silver Supporting Member
Peppermint Fuzz is great! I wouldn't consider it in the realm of the Fuzzrite, as it isn't as bright and stinging. It's more rounded and thicker. It's definitely a fun pedal, I wont ever sell it.

AXXA

Silver Supporting Member
The peppermint is cool, but it won't cut nearly as well as the merkin, if you care about that

sws2h

Interesting I wouldn't have thought about the HBE. So it can cop the tone of the Merking pretty well? I want something that can go with a Hot Cake (overdrive) and a Muff (thick) so something a little abrasive would be good and I like that it has an octave option too. If it sounds good with chords I'd be down...don't have much use for a fuzz that's only good for solos and ****

AXXA

Silver Supporting Member
A lot of these buzzier fuzzes don't sound great with chords, especially if there's any octave up involved. Simple chords, yes, but more complex stuff can get kinda ugly sometimes. Maybe that's a good thing though

goodhonk

Peppermint is like a poorly biased hot fuzz face. Ashbass Fuzzbrite is perfect for 60's biker fuzz. Have you checked out the ehx satisfaction?

screamingduck

Platinum Supporting Member
Peppermint is like a poorly biased hot fuzz face. Ashbass Fuzzbrite is perfect for 60's biker fuzz. Have you checked out the ehx satisfaction?

I tried the EHX Satisfaction fuzz and , for the money, it is a great value.
Thing is it was competing against several other handmade and production fuzz pedals that just sounded a lot better so I sold it within a month or so.
Still it is hard to beat in terms of value received vs. money spent.

Flatscan

Silver Supporting Member
Check out Lowbrow Effects. Get a Ge-based original for $130.

Chris is a nice guy.

Last

Merkin with battery is the ****

Yep, yep.

From Catalinbread website:
The life-blood of a fuzz is its power supply and the Merkin is no different. Use a carbon battery for warm vintage tone and smooth response. Use an alkaline or 9 volt dc supply for a harder sound, or run on 18 volt DC supply for even more output and an aggressive sound! Volume unity for the Merkin resides around 9:00, which means there's lots of boost on tap.