fuzzes: great for the studio not so great live

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sssmile, Jun 27, 2006.

1. sssmile

sssmile Member

I am just never happy with fuzz sounds live. Doesnt cut through the mix, its unpredictable, and overall in a live setting you can get into the same territory with a good od/boost combo or nice distortion. anyone else agree? But in the studio its pure magic at times.

2. Ned

Ned Member

Pink Purple Fuzz :AOK everything you love in a fuzz except totally reliable

3. Medication

Medication Member

i love the swollen pickle, but it has such a scooped sound, it can easily get lost. I like to use it with the zvex machine or super duper to bring it up. Fuzz Factory works wonders in and out of the studio, really reliable.

4. carltonh

carltonh Member

Maybe you are having problems with the temp/humidity fickleness of germanium, or maybe your fuzz isn't first in the chain. Try a silicon fuzz or one like the Throbak ODB that adds germanium in a way that isn't fickle.

5. sssmile

sssmile Member

I think the only fuzz that has worked for me so far live has been a big muff but even then it needed some tweaking in the mids department as it would still get lost. I found that with stacking a boost and something like the hotcake I could get similiar sounds but reliablity. I am still trying to make it all work so I continue trying fuzzes. thanks

6. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

It seems most fuzzes don't provide a big volume boost like OD/dist boxes. I struggled with this problem do, but I didn't give up. The Fuzz Factory is pretty loud and so is the GI Fuzz by MI Audio. The other solution is to run your amp louder and bring down the volume on your guitar. Then when you step on da fuzz open the guitar and you should cut through fine. That works for me because I play clean rhythm guitar all the time. If you're playing distorted sounds for rhythm parts the rolling off the guitar volume may not be an option. Good luck, but don't give up. The fuzz is worth it and you'll figure something out.

7. e-z

e-z Member

The PPF will give you plenty of volume boost.

8. themeanreds

themeanreds Supporting Member

I think what amp you are using also makes a huge difference.

Most fuzzes work nicely with a more midrangey amp-Marshall and so on. With a garden variety Fender, however, it can get lost in the mix.

The IC Big Muffs seem to be a notable exception, as in my experience they cut through nicely with Fender Amps (for an IC Muff copy, you can't go wrong with Euthymia's ICBM).

Personally, I use a copy of the Lovetone Big Cheese. It cuts through wonderfully with my rig (Teles & Firebird through a Holland Gibb-Droll, which is a Tweed Bassman/JTM-45 style amp). I also used a Twin Reverb reissue at practice last night, and my sound sat nicely with the other guitarist, bassist and drummer.

9. Franklin

Franklin Member

I always have issues with fuzz cutting through a live mix......

10. Jack

Jack Member

I've had the same problem. I'm still looking for the solution. A lot of people report that problem. I love fuzz. Maybe the solution is with EQ- a lot of fuzzes seem to lack mids. I haven't really wanted to make drastic rig changes to accomodate fuzz.

11. gulliver

gulliver Member

I just got a Frantone Brooklyn from a forum member trade, and I really love it. It's like half fuzz and half mid-gain distortion pedal with a bright voicing. I have to admit I haven't cranked it yet, but I'm certain it will cut well given it's voicing. At it's most fuzz like setting, gain set high and treble set low, it ends where the '69 pedal starts.

12. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

13. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I only have one fuzz, the Sybil by Retroman and it has plenty of volume boost and cuts through nicely. It has a Ge side and a Si side that can be blended, but even just the Ge side has a nice strong volume boost and is plenty reliable live. I do find I have to have the fuzz knob pretty much all the way up on the Ge side for it to get full and strong enough for me.
    The Si side is full and strong early on and cuts through the mix very well. I usually run them in parallel mode with a little Si in my Ge.