fuzzes with high output pups?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by billyg121, Dec 17, 2009.

1. billyg121

billyg121 Supporting Member

can you get a good fuzz tone from medium to high output humbuckers?i have an evolution neck,a tonezone bridge..and another guitar with a hs-2 in it.are there fuzzes that work better with these?

2. billyg121

billyg121 Supporting Member

3. CharlieK

CharlieK Member

Fuzz face type pedals don't work as well with higher output pickups. Tonebender style pedals are a better choice in my experience.

4. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I had issues with a Little Big Muff. Really hot pickups overwhelmed the input. Try before you buy, if possible.

5. succor

succor Member

Zvex Mastotron has dialable input impedance, works for me.

6. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

I have never had a problem with ANY Skreddy (Muff or Fuzz Face) or Analogman (Fuzz Face) with any of my guitars even the one with Suhr Aldrich (17.5!) pickups.

7. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I think fuzzes and hot pickups work just fine...you might loose some of the ability to clean up as much with say a good Fuzz Face but the tone will still be there...

8. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

try fuzzes that let you set the bias of the fuzz. If possible also the input impedance. The MI Audio fuzzes i know of (The Neo and G.I.) both have a "load" knob that lets you match impedance to the guitar.

That is the BEST way to be able to use hotter pickups with a fuzz and still get to use the volume control. The Zvex Fuzz Factory also might be a good way to go.

Other than that, you are going to need to set the "FUZZ" knob down a good deal, so it is important that the volume can give you "make up gain".
    Analogmans SunLion has a bias knob you can adjust on the fly.

I've had mixed results with hot pickups, but the MI Audio fuzzes seemed most compatible. Also they have more tone-shaping knobs than the most other fuzzes out there, and they are inexpensive, relatively.

I'd go for the Neo or GI fuzz.