"Fuzzface" confusion

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Blingdogg, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Blingdogg

Blingdogg Member

All these fuzzfaces and fuzzface variants are a bit confusing. What I'm wondering is, is the MXR Super Badass Variac Fuzz basically the same unit as the Dunlop JHM8 Gypsy Fuzz?

I did a little quick research and I think they are both based on the red Dunlop Band of Gypsys Fuzzface? (which I know is not in fact a true fuzzface)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  2. Iristone

Iristone Member

I think I've read someone here who said so. Both are Octavias without the octave-up transformer at the output. :)

3. woolyh

woolyh Member

Yeah I think that's right. So the Hendrix Gypsy Fuzz is the Band of Gypsies Fuzzface with a tone knob and the MXR Variac is a Band of Gypsies Fuzzface with the tone and a voltage knob.

Here's confirmation on the Variac.

According to MXR the "Fuzzface" element of BOG FF is that Hendrix used a modified Ocativo without the octave up effect which was built into a stripped out Fuzzface enclosure.

sahhas likes this.
  4. Blingdogg

Blingdogg Member

Thanks for the replies and info everyone. It's good to get that info confirmed. They are all similar so I guess it comes down mostly to features I need (no tone, tone, or voltage) and looks.

At the moment I'm checking out YouTube vids to see if one of them stands out more to me as I'm looking for a new fuzz pedal. Just wish there were more demos of the Badass (besides this guy haha). We'll see what happens....

5. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

Fuzzface confusion is a frustrating mess.

6. Blingdogg

Blingdogg Member

:rotflmao:roll