FuzzFace or Tonebender with p90s?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by soma89, Oct 20, 2008.

1. soma89

soma89 Member

Hi, I have a les paul special (w/ p90s) that doesn't sound good with my bsm fuzzbender (fuzzface and vox tonebender clone). The sound is just way too mellow and compressed for my taste, especially with the FF side on. The tonebender is a little better but still mellow and too much sustain. The fuzz sounds way better with my danelectro, but I don't play it as much as i play my Special. Anyways, Does anyone know any tips on how to make p90s sound good with these vintage-style fuzzes?

Any experiences with p90s paired with fuzzfaces or tonebenders??

2. Cado

Cado Member

Maybe the amp is the problem. I have a Sunlion & a DAM 1966. The '66 loves P90s above all others, but my results vary greatly depending which amp I'm using.

3. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

My Less Paul Special DC loves my Fulltone 70. I think I get great tone with this fuzz. It can snarl and spit as well as cleanup fairly well for a silicon FuzzFace type circuit.

4. Willdance

Willdance Member

p90's are very high inductance pickups. higher than humbuckers of the same resistance. that's what causes that too much woof, too much compression thing. i've definitely found that particular spec on pickups is crucial to the overall tone and determines how they will sound with transistor pedals. when i started running a treble booster (am beano boost) all the time, i had to work around it a bit. my tele was perfect on the bright side as was my les paul on the darker side, but my lp jr. just wasn't right. very woofy and indistinct and over powered the input of any fuz or treble boost. I had lindy fralin wind me a p90 with alnico pole pieces instead of screws and now it's very tasty. apparently using magnetic pole pieces instead of a bar magnet with screws lowers the inductance. i don't know the science behind it too well.

5. jgyn

jgyn Member

I prefer Tonebender types with my SG Classic.

6. somedude

somedude Member

I've only had it a short period of time, but when it comes to vintage style fuzz the best results I've had thus far have been with a Throbak Overdriver/Boost.

Other pedals have been a mixed bag of results, and I didn't really understand why until I read Willdance's post above. I think even the Throbak pedal would be a mixed result, but it has an internal trimpot that lets you dial some bottom out of your pickups before it hits the first gain stage.... takes the woof out of the fuzz and gives it a harder attack (the pedal has plenty of bottom on the back end, so no worries about thinning your tone out).