Fuzz'n it up:Sentiments on different fuzz pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by YoungMansBlues, Apr 8, 2008.

1. YoungMansBlues

YoungMansBlues Member

I've decided I want a fuzz pedal. Really bad actually, and I'd like to hear some opinions on any that come to mind. Right now, I plan on buying the Analogman high-gain NKT275 Sunface w/sundial. I saw a video a/b with a Keeley vs. an Analogman, and the Analogman blew the Keeley away (in my opinion.) Any others worth considering, fellas and ladies?

2. 4styx

4styx Member

I think the Peppermint Fuzz IS a high-gain(NKT275).Might want to check with Analogmike.

3. thewex

thewex Member

4. amphead777

amphead777 Member

Yeah the Peppermint fuzz is another underrated fuzz. With lower settings it very much like a good Fuzz Face too

5. Purplexi

Purplexi Member

Sunface is king of the the subtle fuzz thing. For all out 60's mania I'm going for a Peppermint and I assume it'll do subtle with a tad more noise, no big deal there. I also happen to like the new Dunlop Hendrix Fuzzface.

6. Dale

Dale Member

Keeley does not have a high gain fuzz that I know of at this point. I like the Skreddy line. I like the Top Fuel for example myself. However, that said I also like the little big muff.

7. YoungMansBlues

YoungMansBlues Member

Wow, an incredibly response! I very much appreciate all the comments! As for the peppermint fuzz, I've heard good things, but I was wondering if it would be as sensitive to the guitar's volume knob as the Sunface is. I was under the understanding that it was a kind of stripped down Sunface type deal, but I don't know much about it, I'll check the site. The Foxey Fuzz sounds pretty cool in that demo, let me know what you think when you get it! I've never heard Skreddy before, but I will definitely check those out. The big muff is really cool, but not quite what I'm looking for. I'm really going for a Marc Ford-esque kinda sound with this. Has anyone used Monsterpiece? I've read some stuff, but haven't been able to find a website yet.

8. CC GunZ

CC GunZ Member

I can completely relate. I'm currently on a fuzz-buying frenzy...... I started with a sunface about 6 months ago and became "hooked." Within the last month I've gotten a green russian Big Muff, a Skreddy Mayo, a Soulbender, a Dunlop Hendrix Fuzz Face and a Proanalog MKIII. I also have a DAM MKII on order. Needless to say I am having a blast - and so are my neighbors...

I will say that there has definitely been a slight learning curve with these pedals - especially the fuzz faces. My wah doesn't mix well with my sunface or my dunlop so I need to remedy that with the retrofit etc. Also I've had to move buffered pedals (I have a BD2) out of my signal path or get used to the brightening effect they have on my fuzzes even when placed after. Some delays brighten my fuzz faces when I turn them on. Also, they don't always mix well with other pedals. Regardless, it has definitely been worth the effort and this forum has been a great place to help with the troubleshooting process.

All of these fuzzes actually sound good through a clean amp which has been a bonus. But with my amp on 6, I couldn't be happier...

9. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

The Pepermint Fuzz is not really much like a Fuzz Face (or Mike's Sunface) at all...very different sound really.

Anyway, back to the FF...I have an Arbiter England that was modded to NKT 275 Sun Face specs by Mike in 06...I am still amazed with that pedal!!! I opted to not get the hIgh Gain option as it doesn't clean up as well and is a tad brighter but some guys really dig the high gain version.

I love mine...if you work the volume control it can get as clean as when it's off and as you roll up the vonume yo go through several different chades of almost OD like dirt up to crunch to full out fuzz...very nice for nasty roots tones ala Black Crows as well as old school Blues/Rock ala Clapton in Cream and of cource if you've got it in you it'll do a mean early Hendrix...it's for sure my fav Fuzz, and I have several!