fuzzy fusion

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by tedm, Oct 27, 2005.

1. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

2. Nomadgtr

Nomadgtr Member

Man that tone reminded me of the O'Jays song Who's That Lady. What a flashback!

3. SlipRake

SlipRake Member

Isley Brothers. :cool:

4. tedm

I hadn't thought of the O'Jays, I don't think I have any of their cd's, but I know I've heard them on the radio.

5. Nomadgtr

Nomadgtr Member

My bad, you're correct SlipRake! I must have damaged that brain cell somewhere along the way.

6. I've been reading this board for a while (much longer than I've been a member), so I'm going to put this as delicately as possible.

Without commenting on the absolute quality of the clip, TedM, do you feel that some of your clips are significantly better than others? By which I mean, when you listen to your clips, do you notice variation in the skill of your playing? For example, I'm assuming you recorded this clip recently, and that the same is true of your "baroque" clip. The playing on this clip sounds like a much more confident and experienced guitarist than on the "baroque" one; this is significantly better playing. And I don't think this is a breakthrough of the past few days, because I remember noticing this before. So I'm curious, TedM, do you notice this yourself? I'm not talking about the difference between "This is how TedM usually plays" and "Hey, TedM's having a good day today," I mean, sometimes you sound like you've been playing for x years and other times you sound like you've been playing for 2x.

Liked the tone, btw. By the '69 do you mean the Fulltone pedal?

7. captain_rusty

captain_rusty Member

I like it :D

And yes, it does remind of the Isley Brothers...

8. tedm

these are tough questions, but i'll try to answer them. Yes, I do feel that some of my clips are much better than others, and yes, this was recorded within the same day or 2-3 day period of the baroque clips.

But, I've played over this stock fusion backing track hundreds of times over the years, so I have a good chance of not getting too far out of tune or out of time on this piece (I actually did flub up once before, so this recording is the 2nd take) and my fingers were feeling pretty fluid.

However, the whole baroque backing or completed piece is a whole different animal, I can't slow it down, and I can't quite play that fast yet, so it is a timing mess, but I don't think my notes are completely random, I just think I'm behind, or ahead a few bars at any given time.

With this fusion BT I can just hold a note and let my mind and fingers catch up for a bar, but with the baroque, it's like a nonstop roller coaster where you can't do that.

I've also seen feedback where others have said, wow, he sounds normal on that track, meaning intime or intune, and I just chalk it up to having noodled over that bt a lot, had relaxed fingers, relatively good timing, and happened to have posted a good take over dozens that weren't so good.

Yes, my '69 is a fulltone which I've had and used a lot since '97.

9. TedM -

Thanks for the reply. The '69 sounds pretty sweet, and I'm relieved to know you do feel that sometimes you play much better than others (and can explain why). There was a while quite some time ago where I thought - maybe he just can't hear when he's out of tune/tempo! There are people who I think don't cue in on those things at all, and I also know a few musicians who had real blind spots about elements of their own playing that they'd immediately pick up on if they were listening to someone else. Good to know that you know.

10. Guitarius

Guitarius Member

11. tedm

I listened to a few clips on your website, pretty cool metal stuff. You should watch the videos of a guy here named Alex Flouris (sp?) Just amazing metal speed and phrasing stuff.

12. Guitarius

Guitarius Member

Thanks for the listens, man! I've heard/seen Alex via this site, and ummm...
    Let's just say I'm not fit to tune his guitars and leave it at that, lol

hehehehe great player...Like Ed D. (2 of my faves, along with Scott Lerner...)

13. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Yeah, less chance of crashing and burning at every chord change. Though you managed nonetheless.