Fuzzy or Harmonic OD suggestions for dirty amp?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tabb74, Mar 19, 2015.

1. tabb74

tabb74 Member

Have an OCD, Fatboost and BAT Pharaoh. Lately I've been using the OCD in a classic overdrive role into darker EL 34 amps (Orange Rocker 30 and 2555 clone) that are already fairly distorted with Les Paul's sometimes down tuned, but no lower than C. Looking for some suggestions on something more exotic and out of the ordinary for stoner/desert tones. Something to give me a Muff character without the Muff side effects, I need string clarity and the ability to clean up w volume knob roll off, without the woofiness. Not looking to chase anyone's tone in particular, but think Kyuss, Spirit Caravan, Truck Fighters, Sabbath etc. I want something that adds a thick/fuzzy/harmonic quality to my existing amp gain. Not looking for something that needs a completely Fender clean amp foundation. I've owned a Keeley RAT and thought my OCD sounded not only identical but better, so I sold it off.

The Catalinbread Karma Suture is leading the pack, I've read about the SCOD, but that seems hard to come by. How does the SFT mesh with a dirty amp?

The options on the Moog MF Drive also have me intrigued. Xotic BB Preamp? BAT Quantum Mystic? Anything from Earthquaker fit this description? A simple EQ perhaps after the OCD? A good Treble Booster maybe?

Any help is appreciated, I would like to keep it under $200.

2. olkie

olkie Member

Maybe something CMOS based? My general impression of them have been good string clarity, thick, good clean up, and a character that is in between overdrive and fuzz.

The two CMOS pedals I'm aware of are the EH hot tubes and the Way Huge Red Llama. I was impressed with how the hot tubes thickened up my tone. I'm into the DIY thing and made something like a Red Llama with more gain and a tone stack and that gets into muff territory and reminded me a bit of QOTSA.

3. KnowTalent

KnowTalent Just SAY NO to "Creamy" Distortion

Try BAT's "The Ritual"

4. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

Moog MF-Drive is awesome, but I wonder if it might have too much girth. Blackout Effectors Mantra could be great, and I think the EQ will be useful. The low end is tight, which is either gonna be perfect for managing all the gain or will dampen the vibe. -E

5. tabb74

tabb74 Member

Forgot to mention I also have the BAT Ritual, it loves my Fender Pro Junior but it no worky with my Orange and 2555 clone, even on the clean channels of those amps. Its not really a good pedal for stacking with amps since it has just the one knob, but again does the wall of fuzz thing pretty good into a clean Fender.

6. tabb74

tabb74 Member

Is there such as thing as too much girth?

7. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

Basic Audio Alter-Destiny is pushing your price range, but is the only Muff that's going to be versatile into a dirty amp IMO. It does exactly what you want it to do. The quoted section above defines the Alter Destiny perfectly.

8. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

If you put a cranked MF-Drive into a cooking amp ... maybe. Like, if you don't need to hear the fundamental in the open C#, don't worry about it. ;) The Moog's girth into a clean amp is a gift from heaven. -E

9. DeaconBlues

DeaconBlues Member

Something in the treble booster/Tone Bender/FF family. Adds girth and cleans up with guitar volume.

10. S. F. Sorrow

S. F. Sorrow Member

Get the Karma Suture. You won't be disappointed. Even better than the videos clips. Very versatile and always harmonic. The saturation knob controls the 'thickness'.

11. tabb74

tabb74 Member

Hmmm, the description of the Alter Destiny on the BA site, sounds more like my Pharaoh, HOWEVER the Futureman and Lucky Number sound very intriguing!

Hows the Futureman into a dirty amp as far as a fuzzy OD? Any early QOTSA tones in there when combined with Marshall style amp gain?

Love the soulful Allman Brothers/Warren Haynes type sound clips for the Futureman on the BA site, BTW!

12. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

Futureman sounds great for playing early QOTSA/Kyuss songs, but it doesn't necessarily "sound" like those early tones. It worked well enough for me into a dirty plexi-style amp. Doesn't really have many Muff characteristics.

Lucky Number is cool too. The AD has more a huge spectrum of tweaking, especially with midrange, more so than the Pharoah for sure. The AD also sounds better in a band mix, imo. Can get way lower gain than the Pharaoh too.

This was done with Tele pickups into a dirty amp (Dr Z Remedy):

13. goodhonk

goodhonk Member

14. Planespotter

Planespotter Member

I use a Way Huge Red Llama to get similar sounds out of a slightly lower gain amp (JCM 800 2204), and it works like a charm. It adds a lot of thickness with a fuzzy top end and plays nicely with the amps distortion.

15. Roadstar II

Roadstar II Member

What about a Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom? It is a dual-voiced fuzz/OD that may get you what you want and it's definitely within budget.

16. tabb74

tabb74 Member

Dude, thats only like my favorite Sabbath song EVER!

Naga Viper would be a contender too.

Loving the suggestions, keep em coming!

17. van_delay

van_delay Member

Crowther hotcake works very well into a dirty amp and can easily get into that thick stoner fuzz territory with the gain above noon. It does have a bit of woofiness without the tone knob all the way up. Great pedal that sounds like it would fit your application.

18. NewDr.P

NewDr.P Member

i think the naga viper would be great for that. a treble booster would bring some of the upper mids back since youre playing super low downtuned like that- not lower than C :rotflmao.

im sure itd still sound heavy as hell but add a little presence and an additional flavor of dirt on top of it all.

i got a naga viper last week and im still finding new uses for it. i love mixing boosts with amp dirt.

i used a SCOD for a long time and im not sure how well itd work for your purposes. its more of a distortion pedal- meaning sure a tiny bit of amp gain might be ok but if youre using a decent amount of amp gain its just going to be a noisy mess, not in a good way. by its self its awesome if youre into distortion pedal tones. i dont mean that in an overly disparaging way. i think all distortion pedals sound 100% like pedals, no matter how theyre advertised or expensive they are.

19. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

Hotcake is fun into a dirty amp, but adds some bass as the gain is increased... Maybe not the best if you are running a darker amp.

My top suggestion if you are looking for something unique with the harmonic "swirl" of a Muff but a tighter low end would be the Bearfoot or BJFE Pink Purple fuzz.

20. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member