1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Fuzzy Question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Last, May 15, 2011.

1. Last

Last Member

Do Fuzz Pedals <stack> as well as Overdrive Pedals?

If so, how many is too many?

Also, isn't it better to <stack> a Fuzz into an OD than two Fuzz's?

Curious & a little confused. :huh

2. TheReverendCommon

TheReverendCommon Member

stack as many as you want, however you want.

i generally go od->distortion->fuzz->fuzz

it's fact that the last pedal you stack will impart the most character to your tone, so whatever you want the most color from... put it last.

my fuzzes get unpredictable when they are last in my chain... and that's why i do it :)

case and point

3. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

All are different, but rule of thumb is they do not stack as well as OD and it usually best to stack Fuzz>OD.

Of course I try to stack all my fuzzes together, cause 2 or 3 fuzzes together can be wonderful too. You can start to hear a little octave or unstability as they stack up too much gain.

Lot of fuzzes must be first in chain to do what they do, but not all (Muff is cool wherever, but FF is first).

Good luck

4. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

Some fuzzes sound great after some ODs. Some Fuzzes sound great into ODs. Some sound great both ways. Some hate it. There are no rules, and so many different circuits and rigs that it is impossible to state a "normal" way of doing things. If you can, try stuff out at a store.

5. redbeardrob

redbeardrob Member

not to be "that guy" but it depends. my sunface into my astrotone is sweeeet! while the astrotone into the sunface is too muddy for use, IMO. but either into an overdrive is just as sweet. i'm sure other fuzzes out there are just as indifferent.

6. duderanimous

duderanimous Monsterpiece Fuzz - Fuzz Master Extraordinaire Silver Supporting Member

I don't normally stack fuzz on fuzz, but I will run a fuzz into an od for that "my amp is exploding" kind of sound :D

7. ptdesign

ptdesign Handmade sonic art

A proper fuzz in front of an OD can be wonderful. If said fuzz has a great rolloff and dosn't generate a bunch of hiss it can greatly enhance the versitillity of the OD's rolloff sounds.

I find many of the "most loved" OD's to not have a great rolloff on thier own.

8. Graffiti Rover

Graffiti Rover Member

I'm new to this but I stack my OCD in front of my SUF VRH and Led Bender. Def adds more punch!

9. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

I stack a Silicon fuzz into various ODs. I set the fuzz relatively low though. It will impart some "fuzziness" on the tone, but will not be an entirely fuzz driven tone. My MXR 108 sounds great into my Keeley TS-9. It also sounds great into a Lovepedal Superlead, with the TS-9 or a Menatone Blue Collar after. I have not been able to find a good full out fuzz tone with the fuzz stacked into an OD though.

Mike