Fuzzy treble with clean bottom end? Possible?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Felixun1, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Felixun1

Felixun1 Member

I'd like to be able to get a thicker tone from the higher pitched strings on my strat, but keep the lower strings fairly clean and tight. Is this possiblke, and if so, what kind of pedal? Treble boost? I know a traditional fuzz seems more the opposite, lots of low end but highs stay fairly sharp (like my dano cool cat fuzz, great pedal, but not really what I'm going for.)

Any suggestions?

2. pmtrub

pmtrub Member

bass big muff? I really have no idea, but my friend uses one on bass, and it retains his bottom end while the blend adds fuzz over the top.

3. thetangmang

thetangmang Member

Try a Lovepedal Eternity into a fuzz. The glass knob does almost exactly what you're looking for.

The AM Beano Boost and Keeley Java Boost into a fuzz may also do the job.

4. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

The Skreddy Screw Driver was basically designed around this tone. Using the brilliance knob you can do exactly what you are asking or vice versa.

5. Felixun1

Felixun1 Member

Great suggestions, thanks.

6. spentron

spentron Member

Essentially that's what any Tube Screamer does, although the result is smoothed on the top. Another possibility is to just slam your normal distortion source with a treble boosted signal, probably with compensation of tone after that or on the distortion box's treble setting. Screwdriver, one of the Carl Martin boxes and probably others are advertised as having a treble booster front end built in.

I do build some boxes that can take that further, nothing avail right now but I do expect Subzombie to be avail again soon. It has a tendency that when the treble is reduced it gets fuzzier and when increased it gets cleaner than the bass, but also the higher or lower gain signal can be emphasized in the highs. So that might at least be some concepts to think about. I am also expecting to have a an overdrive with essentially the opposite of the Tube Screamer effect mentioned (thus much thinking on these subjects), but it also uses that trick of boosting the highs a bit into its distortion to even out the high strings.

7. aziltz

aziltz Member

keeley fuzzhead

8. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Supporting Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    Low frequencies will clip before high ones. I'd trying running an EQ with some of the low end/low mids rolled of before whatever fuzz you're using.

9. shanetram

shanetram Supporting Member

The Sludge Control on the Barber Trifecta control the amount of clean bass signal that gets through. Works for me.

Good luck.

10. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

Yes

11. drunkenguitar

drunkenguitar Supporting Member

My D*A*M Meathead did the job pretty well.

12. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

A guitar into an ABY box into an effects board with a fuzz/od of your choice then into

Dirty side:
    A Tweed amp set about halfway up or more

Clean side:
    An old BF Twin Reverb with JBLs as a clean amp

DONE