FX-8 ...about ready to pull the trigger couple questions though!

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Matteo11, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Matteo11

Matteo11 Supporting Member

Hello!

I am about to pull the trigger on the FX-8 and see they have promo codes that can be applied at checkout.

Is anyone aware of any promo codes offered by Fractal?

I see that they apparently run a Black Friday sale but I was out of the country and missed it.

Anyone know if they run a Xmas sale? I can wait (maybe!) if it will save a few bones.

Also on a side note any of you FX-8 users out there can you tell me if this thing is easy to set up use etc or does it take a lot of work reading the manual tweaking etc?

It looks pretty straightforward but just curious of this too. Thanks!!!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    X-Mann likes this.
  2. X-Mann

X-Mann Member

Hey Matt..............

I'm NOT a Smart Mann, but setting-up the FX8 is a total no-brainer & very easy to do!

I assume that you'll run into an amp in 4cm?

You have a choice in each preset to run any of the 8 FX (at one time) in pre (at the guitar input) or in post mode (after the FX Loop).

You can run 3-FX in the Pre & 5 in the Post or any combination (aka number) in between. The default FX settings already sound amazing & you can also do what I did.....& just use the AMAZING Factory presets already inside the FX8 as a base. Then, just copy/paste the ones you like into a new preset.

I'll help you at every step of the way if you need/want that, but you probably won't even need it. I can also share my Cover band presets too!

I'm looking into codes for you now & will PM you after I find them......

Good luck & congrats!!!! X-Mann

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    TimeSnow and Matteo11 like this.
  3. Matteo11

X-Mann YOU ARE THE MAN!! It is a pleasure and a privilege sir to have your help on this forum!

I will run in 4CM into the GLORIOUS Runt head.

Did I understand you correctly though when you said you can only run 3 FX pre loop? That seems kinda low considering I would prob run a OD, EQ Compressor and pre gate off top my head.

Thanks again man for your help!!

4. X-Mann

X-Mann Member

No, I'm saying you have 8-FX in total......& you can run them in any amount that you want per EACH preset. You can do 4-pre & 4-post, 6-pre & 2-post or whatever adds up to 8 FX in total.

Matteo11 likes this.
  5. Matteo11

I misread your pre post thing. I get it now you can run 7 pre and 1 post or 4 pre 4 post etc etc.

Definitely would be interested in getting some of your cover band presets!

6. X-Mann

X-Mann Member

I posted my Runt Amp Settings for both channels in the Friedman Runt thread......So......You can have my rig as a starting point & then you can Mattify it!!!! :D

The FX8 is very easy to use due to the fact that there are no Cab IR's or amp blocks to worry about.......or figure out.

You are in for a tonegasim of EPIC proportions brolo! :eek::p

X

7. Matteo11

Super excited to get this unit!

I'll definitely be checking out how you set up your Runt amp settings.

You still planning on doing your Runt demo/walkthrough video review?

8. X-Mann

X-Mann Member

Yes & I already shot 100% of it......& just need to edit it down a bit to make it more FUN to watch.

More to come.....

X

9. Matteo11

Awesome man! Looking forward to it!

Let me know if you have any luck on a promo code for me. Credit card is in hand and ready to rock!

Feels like I'm 6 years old and Xmas is coming early!

X-Mann likes this.
  10. Joe Rogers

Joe Rogers Member

There are also a few others lurking around here who would be happy to help you out with configuration. ;)

Matteo11 and X-Mann like this.
  11. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

I had one for ages and posted some videos about it on youtube... it's VERY easy to set up and is ridiculously flexible and sounds great.

Matteo11 and X-Mann like this.
  12. ak301

ak301 Member

I'm about to join the Fractal club soon but I'm gonna go for an AX8

Anyone know if the Europe seller gr66 offers up any discounts?

Cant wait to get one btw, REALLY bad case of GAS for one after all the research I've been doing

Matteo11 likes this.
  13. Matteo11

It shipped out today! Tracking says it won't be delivered until Tuesday though :(

Can't wait!

tjontheroad, X-Mann and TimeSnow like this.
  14. Matteo11

I'm hoping you are right because I was reading the manual and it seemed a little intense. I'm hoping when I actually have the unit in hand and can connect via the software it will be easy to follow along with.

15. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

There's like five basic concepts you have to learn and once you do you'll realise that its waaaaaaaaaaaaay more powerful than you were expecting, and easier to use.

Plus it sounds amazing.

X-Mann likes this.
  16. Matteo11

Thanks! I read somewhere else on here something similiar that once you get the hang of it it is very logical and linear.

Can't wait to hear how this thing sounds in person! The runt amp I just got already sounds so good hoping the fx8 will be the icing on the top!

tjontheroad, X-Mann and TimeSnow like this.
  17. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

The advice I always give everyone is this: don't be overwhelmed by the drive block and only stick to the "preset" sounds. You CAN LARGELY clone any drive pedal you want, because of the power of the options, which is a double-edged sword. The flexibility that's needed for that can make the creative process seem overwhelming. If you start int he ball park, and then experiment until you're happy you can create your OWN drive sound. And it'll probably make you happier than one of the preset blocks.

Also, take your time to learn the delay blocks. You can do AMAZING things with them, but the routing on some of them is utterly unintuitive. Once you get it though, wow! The sky's the limit.

And once you cop what controllers can do....

18. Matteo11

Funny you mention that because x-Mann here gave me very similar advice. Start with a fx your up really like that gets you in the ballpark then expand on that.

I had no idea the unit could go that deep where you can actually customize your own unique pedal. That is going to open up a world of crazy good possibilities.

I have heard though that the presets are actually pretty good too though to get your feet wet.

19. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

I'm not a preset guy (I was using it for very specific originals that all had specific parts and variations) but I think once you start playing with it it's so obvious that you can kinda just map out what you need and then make it, even with no experience, and still be pretty amazed!

Matteo11 likes this.
  20. Matteo11

Awesome. I figure there will be some learning curve involved but hoping it's not to the point where I am messing with it more than actually playing and enjoying it. One of the reasons I sold my Kemper to go back to tube amps was for a more simple plug and play (rather searching through tons of profiles/cab combo mics etc etc) and I much prefer the actual tube amp in the room sound and feel. Hoping the FX8 is easy to get up and running and then when and if I want to go deeper I can.

TimeSnow likes this.