FX Engineering Mirage compressor?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by lonelylooper, Dec 16, 2009.

1. lonelylooper

lonelylooper Plate of shrimp Silver Supporting Member

Anyone have one of these? What do you like/dislike?
    Could you compaire it to the Analogman mini bi compressor or the Wampler ego compressor?

2. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Tried one and I opted to return it. It has less compression than the Diamond (which I love) but it is the ultimate in transparency. Wampler Ego Comp is good but I still prefer the Diamond by a good margin.

3. lonelylooper

So could you tell me the main differences between the Wampler and the Diamond?
    I got the impression the Diamond was less of an "effect" and really if/when I get a compressor I want to know when its on.
    I've tried the mini bi-compressor and some boss's (not really impressed)
    I love the way Diamond does business and am interested in there compressor but I really want it to sound and feel like a pedal compressor, not a super studio one.

4. lv

lv Supporting Member

More like a soft limiter/tone/feel enhancer. Mine sounded and felt great, but clipped a bit with a wah in front of it.

5. lonelylooper

My Fromel shape EQ seems to do the limiter/tone/enhancer thing pretty flippin awesome. If thats what the diamond is doin' than whats the point in having both?

6. TDavis

TDavis Member

I have one and it is the compressor for guys who normally don't like compressors. As described...less compression (which is what I like), and more of a limiter/ tone enhancer. It just takes what your rig is producing and makes it "bigger".

7. lonelylooper

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but that seems to be exactly what my Fromel shape EQ does!?
    What I'm looking for is a compressor that is an "effect" but isn't so noisy like everything I've tried.
    Maybe the Wampler is the one?

8. lv

lv Supporting Member

I was referring to the Mirage, not the DIamond, I haven't tried that one.

That said, this eq/comp combo will give you a ton of versatility:

[​IMG]

9. lv

lv Supporting Member

Sounds like maybe a compressor might not be what you want/need? If you're looking for the eq enhancement that some comps impart, you've already got the best in the shape imo. For actual compression, from subtle to squished, the mxr '76 ri with the analogman mods does a great job - honestly, I never turn mine off, I could have done without the mods.

10. TDavis

TDavis Member

Never tried the Fromel, but you can set the Mirage to give you compression...it's just not like any other comp that I've tried...doesn't do the "squishy" type compression. Maybe give the Cmatmods Deluxe Signa-Comp (4-knob) a look-see. It's a great compressor as well and not noisy..or the one I had wasn't.

11. lonelylooper

What did you have John do to your shape eq?
    It has one more foot switch than mine and no toggles?

12. lv

lv Supporting Member

Mine doesn't have an off switch, or a mid switch, the switches go from having the treble control flat to where the treble knob is. The other knob goes between having the mid boost on full, to where the knob is set. The bass control and mid frequency control are stock.

It is setup this way so that I can switch between boosted mids and flat treble when using a lot of gain, to flatter mids and boosted treble for clean tones. Given the space between the footswitches, one stomp effectively goes between two eq presets. Works exceptionally well.

13. lonelylooper

Thats cool. I really like my Shape EQ.
    I think some of the things I was looking for in a compressor were actually eqing features. So the eq in conjunction with a compressor (?) will most likely cover my wants.
    Now to find "THE" compressor for me.

14. jamison162

jamison162 Member

I still highly recommend you try the Diamond. It's quiet, VERY musical and has enough comp for me that it evens out all of the peaks and makes me sound WAY better. You don't really notice a big change in your tone when you kick it on, but you really miss it when you turn it off.

And if for some reason it doesn't have quite enough compression for you, you can have it modded by Diamond to have 25-30% more comp. for roughly $65. I had discussed all of this with them but I ended up not really needing the mod.

Or...you may can special order one with more comp. straight from the get-go. I have tried many, many comps but nothing has sounded better than my Diamond.

15. lonelylooper

Interesting?
    All three pedals ('76 Dyna comp, Wampler, and Diamond) are all relatively close in price.
    Anyone out there have a Diamond comp. modded to have the extra compression?
    Aimish are you out there? Can you tell me more?