FX Loop Cable Question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Last Nerve, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

So I have an amp with an FX Loop, and I'm thinking I'll actually be using it for a couple pedals.

My question is - does the tone associated to the FX Loop benefit from cables like Evidence, Sommer, etc, or would just a normal Bill Lawrence cable work, and not effect the tone of the pedals in the loop?

In other words - patch cable or guitar/amp cable? :D

2. never-enough

never-enough Member

guitar pedals and effects loops can be finicky about playing together.
    what amp and what pedals are you planning on using?
    start off using what ever cables you have laying around and se how you like it.
    good quality cables are always a good investment, personally i really like mogami 2524 in my effects loop. i buy it by the foot and make the cables to length and its cheaper than buying lesser quality cables in the store.

3. IvIark

IvIark Member

The majority of loops are buffered and that means that the signal is much less affected by capacitance that may be present in the chain. Any resistance in the cables will be virtually zero whether the most expensive or the cheapest available.

So basically for those who are concerned about the affect cables have on their tone, it would make more sense to have the unicorn-horn cables before the amp, especially if you're using all true bypass pedals.

4. LavaMan

LavaMan Member

In my experience super high-end cables are not required. Some folks have claimed to hear the difference though....the previous post is correct in that these cables are as affected by capacitance.

5. thetangmang

thetangmang Member

Ooh, good to know. I'm using GC's patch cables for my effects loops stuff.