1. jeffinaustin

jeffinaustin Supporting Member

My Maz Jr.'s effects loop is instrument level (-20). Is there a mod that can take it to line level to work with rack gear?

Thanks!

2. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I still haven't tried mine, but there is a unit called a Nobels RP-31 I think, that can change levels as well as has two separate loops. You can boost with it, and anywhere because the boost/cut controls are: input (from preamp), send (effects1, effects2), Return (fx 1 and 2), and return (out to power amp).

Other possibilities are like a SHO, or other clean boost pedals maybe?

You'd have to double check on the booster pedals, how much boost they give.

3. jeffinaustin

Wouldn't be the other way around? The FX loop itself is -10. Rack effects are +4 so wouldn't I need something to somehow "unbalance" or "pad down" the signal from the effect?

Obviously I'm flying blind here

4. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

No, or actually...that is only the second half of it...first don't you need to boost the -10db into the effect? I had the opposite problem (that's why I bought the Nobels) with my prosonic. The effects loop is built with rack gear in mind. So its' effects loop is +10db...which drove my delay into digital noise...terrible. So I needed to do what your amp already does...tame the high signal down, hopefully to -4db or so...but then the return is expecting +10db so all I did was make the amp quieter, so I needed something to boost it back up again.

You need something to boost (from how I read your post) the level up for rackmount (though I thought many rackmount ins were adjustable) levels, but probably need to pad down, or attenuate again OUT of the rackmount to match the signal your power amp is expecting.

That's how I'm reading what you wrote. Or how I see the problem. But as I mentioned, theoretically that Nobels box will let you do that...boost on the input to the box, and maybe even the send to the Nobels' effects loop, then reduce again on the Nobels send...

You are trying to fool the amp into thinking it Is going into a regular guitar/mic level device, but really boost it, into a rackmount, and then bring it back down again to the level the amp expected back??

Right?

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I mentioned my Prosonic problem...it just added the extra problem that I had to boos again the signal after the effects (because I have the opposite problem) but otherwise...to put it simply, MY fx loop send from my amp (+10db) is the same problem as your output from your rackmount (also +10db)...

If you don't need to boost the signal, if the rackmount effect works okay with or can boost the signal to what it needs to see, then you are almost home..all you need in that case is a -6db cable or something. This is just a cable with a resistor inline, built in. I had one made for my Prosonic, to see if I could go with the cheaper solution. You could also make a potentiometer in a small box that would attenuate the signal...

6. jeffinaustin

That's a great idea (about the cable). Hadn't thought of that. Thanks!