FX8 Drive Block?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by jguss, Apr 15, 2016.

1. jguss

jguss Supporting Member

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on an FX8 to replace my pedal board. My question is whether the overdrive effects are comparable to my favorite dumble type boxes like the Zen Drive, or Ethos Overdrive? What say ya'll?

2. jeffinaustin

jeffinaustin Supporting Member

I love the Zen model personally. Haven't compared with a real one to compare though. Depending on your amp I think you can easily find the type of tones your describing.

3. jguss

jguss Supporting Member

Thanks. I don't have any doubts about the digital time-based effects. Just wasn't sure about about a digital overdrive pushing the preamp on a real amp adequately.

4. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

Many many many people have completely replaced all their drive pedals with the FX8.

I did.

It's drive block is completely badass.

UncleLarry likes this.
  5. jguss

jguss Supporting Member

Good to know. That seems like it's the last piece of the puzzle for me.

6. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

A lot of people - myself included - keep their drive pedals on their board until they learn how to use the drive block.... Almost all of them eventually ditch them as there's no need not too... Of course you can easily use them but... I don't know... It seems like most people don't... I know of one person, literally, that never gave up his drive pedals... Maybe they just like what they know...

Fuzz is a bit different... The Fuzz is amazing on the FX8 as long as you don't plan on rolling back your volume and expecting it to behave like a real Fuzz does... Drives do clean up perfectly though.. Just not fuzzes. There a technical explanation why on the FAS forums. Who knows Cliff might find a way to fix that in the future as well. :)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  7. vltjd

vltjd Supporting Member

The Zen drive is very close to the real thing. Having owned most of the overdrive pedals the FX8 replicates, they all seem to have more drive, meaning you'll need less gain, to get the same sound. Just my experience, YMMV. Sold all of my drive pedals in the emporium, currently own none (except the FX8).

TimeSnow likes this.
  8. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I use the Zendrive and BB Preamp drive blocks because those are the pedals I used most.

Haven't touched the real pedals since I got the FX8.

TimeSnow likes this.
  9. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

Would an AX8 do essentially the same things as the FX8 using it as only a pedalboard? Then you'd have a back up amp or ability to leave the amp at home as necessary.

10. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

They're actually quite different. You are limited to a certain number of instances of some blocks on the AX8, the AX8 can't change amp channels and isn't as easy to use 4CM with. So pre post routing is less convenient.

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=FX8_versus_AX8

I'm gonna get an AX8 at some point and run then together.

11. jguss

jguss Supporting Member

I'm glad that question was asked. It seems like it's easier to acquire an ax8 than fx8 these days.

12. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

you mean re: waiting list?

13. jguss

jguss Supporting Member

I think on the resale market. The wait list is 2-3 months per fractal yesterday.

14. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

ahh!

I feel so lucky... I got my FX8 in about 10 days!

15. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

But if you don't use the 4cm they'd be about the same, right? Like I'd tend to use it in front of traditional style NMV amps such as a 5e3, Deluxe Reverb, BF Bassman, AC30, etc.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  16. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

Or channel switching.

But yeah, in that case, more or less is most respects!

MikeVB likes this.
  17. suckamc

suckamc Member

The drives are great.

TimeSnow likes this.
  18. djd100

djd100 Member

My experience is that the digital drives certainly sound/feel different than real analog drives, fuzzes more so than the others, though the digital drives are certainly very good in their own right and much quieter/more tweakable than the real deals.

So, both sound great into tube gear, try them both out and pick your poison.

Guitardave likes this.