FX8 vs AX8....

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by charley, Apr 25, 2016.

1. charley

charley Supporting Member

Can anybody talk about their experiences with both units? I am aware that the AX8 also has amp modeling.....

My main concern are peoples experiences with the different UI's, ease of use, tonal differences, etc. Not which is better.

Thanks!

2. shredmiyagi

shredmiyagi Member

IMO, on-the-fly editing EFFECTS on the AX8 is hella hard. The 8 knobs directly affect the amp settings.

If you set and forget your effects, then it's fine. I'm pretty hands-on with delays and FX mixes, so I freaked out.

From what I gather, the FX engines are identical. You're just getting some better I/O jacks with the FX8, and the 4CM options, which could be a big deal if you love your amp. You eliminate a layer of gain-staging choices that the AX8 cabs/amps throw your way, not to mention all the presets are designed to be FRFR. You'll run out of space just as fast with either unit when running high-CPU effects like the ambient Reverbs, pitch and Dimension chorus. :confused:

3. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Supporting Member

Yea, they are 90% the same thing... the FX8 can change your amp channels, and the AX8 has amp and cab modeling.

4. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

you can get a few a second instance of a couple fx on the fx8 that you can't on the ax8 as well... at least that was the case initially...

5. GMGM

GMGM Member

I use FX8. I do probably 75% of my setup in the FX8-Edit software running on my laptop. That includes basic effects routing, scene layout, expression pedal configuration, and all that deeper stuff. Once I've selected my effects and named my scenes, the remaingin 25% is the actual knob tweaking and tone-setting of the effects themselves - like you would on a "regular" pedalboard.

I know a lot of guys use only the built in controls - but my brain isn't wired like that. I could gig without the laptop easy enough, but I wouldn't want to build a scene from scratch without that external software. My 2 cents.

The software is fun though - you can really get into the weeds with all of the controllers and other deep options. It's kind of stupid. lol.