fyi: the scholz sugarcone is now the scholz classic, and earcandy sells neither

fritferret

"NOTE: ***WE ARE NOW TAKING NEW ORDERS*** for the “SCHOLZ CLASSIC” (A.K.A) “Sugar Cone speaker” 12″ 100 watt, 8 or 16 ohm guitar speakers are priced $250.00ea.Comes with 2″ voice coil as the largest it should be for a guitar speaker. Anything larger than a 2″ voice coil is primarily used for P.A. speakers ,not guitar speakers. Approximate weight 11.50 lbs (Limited production). This is the only speaker designed by “GEORGE SCHOLZ”. There is absolutely NO new version of the “SCHOLZ CLASSIC” speaker at this time. If there was a newer version, it would have been designed by “George Scholz” not someone else. Don’t be fooled by a marketing name (Sugar Cone) used in the past for the “SCHOLZ CLASSIC”. We want to clarify that if you are looking at what is being marketed as a “new version” of this speaker, it is totally deceitful because what you’re getting is just another speaker, again being marketed with that name “Sugar Cone speaker”. The “SCHOLZ CLASSIC” made the name “Sugar Cone speaker” famous, not the reverse. If you purchase a “SCHOLZ CLASSIC” you are getting the speaker you are looking for that has been sold for the past 11 years by us (with a perfect record of zero blown speakers). Anything else, you’re just paying for the marketing name. We owe it to our customers to explain this matter CLEARLY so you’re NOT fooled in the future by questionable ethics and marketing tactics. If you don’t see the dust cap GOLD “S” which stands for “SCHOLZ” (not Sugar Cone speaker) we had nothing to do with it. Please make a permanent note: As of 3/18/11 The “SCHOLZ” Sugar Cone speaker will be referred to as the “SCHOLZ CLASSIC” in past or present referrals. The “Sugar Cone speaker” name was used to market our “SCHOLZ CLASSIC speaker” by another company which no longer represents this speaker. Remember look for the GOLD “S” dust cap to be sure it was designed by “GEORGE SCHOLZ”. All our equipment is hand built to order right here in the U.S.. COMING SOON!! “GEORGE SCHOLZ’S” SPECTACULAR COMPLETELY NEW SPEAKER DESIGN TO ACCOMPANY THE “SCHOLZ CLASSIC” speaker…"

Bobby D

no - i was just at George's place, it's all good with him and his manager Charles -- and i did not hear any nasty words about Ear candy. if someone is trying to copy the sugarcones, he has a RIGHT to be pissed about it, tho....

George said he was tired of the Sugarcones, as good as they are, and wanted to go FURTHER and BETTER - so he made a new design - and it just having a hard time finding ANYONE who can make it correctly.

he's also still grinding out HArry Joyce amps one at a time - i played a FRESHLY baked HJ-50 that was going to a celeb guitarist who must remain nameless that you all know -- sounded great to me.

i will be back over to use his "amp cave" for some more demos soon -- will ask him specifically what's up with this.

scottl

As good as they were? I laid out serious cake for two Sugarcones. Most disappointing purchase ever. They are basically unusable for me. I am not that difficult or picky. I like EVM12L, EVM12S, Celestion G12-65 and Lead80, Eminence Tonespotter, RWBs, and Wizard (yeah some issues with teh Eminence but they still work well enough), Weber alnico 12, Scumbacks, and Fane Studio 12.

I hope the new ones are better. Maybe George would like to swap my Sugarcones for something good?? Maybe they were bad out of the box? Nasal and wierd sounding...... Both of them.

Just pissed as the Sugarcones was handsdown the most disappointing purchases ever.

George said he was tired of the Sugarcones, as good as they are, and wanted to go FURTHER and BETTER - so he made a new design - and it just having a hard time finding ANYONE who can make it correctly.

Bobby D

wow......since you are a "good" member here (that sounded funny) i can talk to george and see if he WOULD swap you a pair of news ones to try when they are done.

he loves seeing his gear in working pros hands. trust me, he doesn't do this for the $$$....he doesn't have to. his father was a significant person in the german entertainment biz, and he's doing alright, has been for the 15 years i know him.

he doesn't build amps or make speakers and design new stuff for the $$$.

amps are $3500, take it or leave it. he don't HAVE to build them.

but i am sure if you got a pair of sugarcones you perceived as BAD - george would WANT to see/hear them, and would want to see you with the new ones to see if they solved or made things better.

fritferret

i know you don't like them, but i love them (along w/ a lot of other people)! i even offered to by at least one of your used ones from for the cost of a new one. you took so long to decide whether or not you wanted you sell a speaker you hate that i ended up just getting one from george and charles. i don't think george should give you anything. i tried to give you money which could have then used to buy whatever or almost whatever speaker you wanted.

i think the problem here is that when you don't like something you can't simply not like it. it has to become the "most disappointing purchase ever". if someone said that about an amp you like a lot you;d be all over them about why they are in fact wrong. i've seen that happen (so i know it's true). several times.

As good as they were? I laid out serious cake for two Sugarcones. Most disappointing purchase ever. They are basically unusable for me. I am not that difficult or picky. I like EVM12L, EVM12S, Celestion G12-65 and Lead80, Eminence Tonespotter, RWBs, and Wizard (yeah some issues with teh Eminence but they still work well enough), Weber alnico 12, Scumbacks, and Fane Studio 12.

I hope the new ones are better. Maybe George would like to swap my Sugarcones for something good?? Maybe they were bad out of the box? Nasal and wierd sounding...... Both of them.

Just pissed as the Sugarcones was handsdown the most disappointing purchases ever.

Bobby D

i will personally cart them over to the amp cave and test them, if you want. i can assure you GEORGE wants everyone happy with his stuff.

charles handles all the business. trust me, unless you KNOW george, he's probably NOT The best person to have on the phone doing customer service. not that he's mean or crazy or anything, he's just......different.

i got to know him over a 15 year period, and have been hanging out at the shop the whole time.

he's leaving the harry joyce thing behind, except for a few amps for select players who want them - and has a new scholz GS-100 and GS-50 amp, as well as the new speakers.

if there's something WRONG with them, i can get them fixed or replaced EASILY. if you just don't like them, we can get you new ones or i can get you the same price you paid for them new.

greiswig

Scott, the first one I purchased (4 years ago?) sounded bad; no lows at all. I tried breaking it in to no avail. I finally took a pink noise sample of that speaker compared to a G12-65 in the same cabinet, and sent those to Charles. They quickly asked me to send it back, and replaced it. The new one sounded much better right out of the box, and better still with a bit of breakin. I wonder if they had a bad production run at some point, and didn't adequately QC them. In any case, the one I have now is a fine sounding speaker, and quite versatile. And I was happy with the customer service I got: mistakes can happen, and I don't mind as long as they cover it.

scottl

Thanks Bobby! I really appreciate that. I got them after hearing such glowing reviews. These never panned out and they sit on a shelf!

See if he wants to check them out....

Appreciate it.

wow......since you are a "good" member here (that sounded funny) i can talk to george and see if he WOULD swap you a pair of news ones to try when they are done.

he loves seeing his gear in working pros hands. trust me, he doesn't do this for the $$$....he doesn't have to. his father was a significant person in the german entertainment biz, and he's doing alright, has been for the 15 years i know him.

he doesn't build amps or make speakers and design new stuff for the $$$.

amps are $3500, take it or leave it. he don't HAVE to build them.

but i am sure if you got a pair of sugarcones you perceived as BAD - george would WANT to see/hear them, and would want to see you with the new ones to see if they solved or made things better.

Bobby D

Thanks Bobby! I really appreciate that. I got them after hearing such glowing reviews. These never panned out and they sit on a shelf!

See if he wants to check them out....

Appreciate it.
i can ASSURE you i am 99.9% sure george will have me have you send them to me:YinYang

scottl

Hey, I am a packrat. The trouble of boxing and shipping stuff keeps me hoarding. Besides, the real reason I did not sell to you was because I really felt something must be wrong with them and I would never make a bad deal with a TGPer.

Maybe Bobby can get them checked out. I certainly have use for them if they work out.

I was not kidding though.... I think in all my years of getting gear, I was most disappointed with these.

First one was bought used, in mint condition. I had already placed an order for an Ear Candy cab loaded with one. I guess the cab ranks up there as I have not gotten it to sound good with other drivers loaded as well. I thought maybe it was the cab, but finally I removed the Sugarcone last year and it sounds similar to the used one.

Because there are so many positive reviews, I suppose maybe mine are QC victims, but then I think the manufacturer would want to check them....

i know you don't like them, but i love them (along w/ a lot of other people)! i even offered to by at least one of your used ones from for the cost of a new one. you took so long to decide whether or not you wanted you sell a speaker you hate that i ended up just getting one from george and charles. i don't think george should give you anything. i tried to give you money which could have then used to buy whatever or almost whatever speaker you wanted.

i think the problem here is that when you don't like something you can't simply not like it. it has to become the "most disappointing purchase ever". if someone said that about an amp you like a lot you;d be all over them about why they are in fact wrong. i've seen that happen (so i know it's true). several times.

fritferret

fair enough. if there's room for me to lug a scholz loaded cab to the ny ampshow, you're welcome to have at it. or if you'll be brining a 112 you like, i can certainly bring a speaker you can try.

i also wonder if it's your amps not matching well w/ the speaker. my carol ann hated certain speakers.

Hey, I am a packrat. The trouble of boxing and shipping stuff keeps me hoarding. Besides, the real reason I did not sell to you was because I really felt something must be wrong with them and I would never make a bad deal with a TGPer.

Maybe Bobby can get them checked out. I certainly have use for them if they work out.

I was not kidding though.... I think in all my years of getting gear, I was most disappointed with these.

First one was bought used, in mint condition. I had already placed an order for an Ear Candy cab loaded with one. I guess the cab ranks up there as I have not gotten it to sound good with other drivers loaded as well. I thought maybe it was the cab, but finally I removed the Sugarcone last year and it sounds similar to the used one.

Because there are so many positive reviews, I suppose maybe mine are QC victims, but then I think the manufacturer would want to check them....

Bobby D

certain speakers sound like dog SH$%^T with certain amps.

it's always been that way.

it'll always be that way.

it's all good.

maybe the new ones will be better. george wouldn't have spent so much time designing them if they were NOT better, in his opinion, which i respect....

augur

Probably not.
I have a pair in an Hiwatt type 2x12 made by Swanson purchased about 12 years ago.
I love their sound. Sweet and fat. Lot of lows.

Trending Topics