G&G case doesn't fit my strats?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by whomad1215, Jan 21, 2012.

1. whomad1215

whomad1215 Member

I bought a G&G case a little while back, and now am trying to fit my Greco/Tokai strats in it, and they're ~1-2 inches too long. Even my fender strat is about 1/2" too long and requires more effort than I like to push the padding down to fit in.

Am I supposed to crush the padding down by the body of the guitar, or am I just SOL.

2. vintage66

vintage66 Member

I got a tweed one from one of the ebay sellers that parts out Fenders so it is one that came from a Fender with the same problem. I broke out the C-clamps and compressed the padding at the headstock and at the other end. It fits now but is still a little snug-with the Nash Tele it's fine-it barely rubs when I put it in, but that's with vintage tuners-otherwise it might rub the tuning peg. I could compress it more maybe if needed, but yeah, it seems like the padding is too thick in some of them for some reason. I thought it was for a short scale guitar at first but you could see the outline where a strat was in it.

If you want to try to compress it, I found that using a deck of cards between the clamp and case makes for a nice curve in the padding-you don't want the clamp diggin in and making odd holes-just take about 20 cards or whatever stays stiff enough under each clamp. If I'd known how to remove the lining and cut the padding thinner I would have done that but I don't know how they have it folded and I would have probably messed it up. Mine's the Tweed with the orange interior btw. Nice case now that it fits.

3. whomad1215

whomad1215 Member

It's a tweed one. The padding is at least 2-3" thick on each side.

4. vintage66

vintage66 Member

I don't think you're sol, try the clamps, leave it overnight, if it's not enough, repeat.