G&L Asat are some of these just duds?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 69mojostrat, Feb 23, 2006.

1. 69mojostrat

69mojostrat Member

Man I have a friend who bought one special order that had me look at it (I am a gutiar tech) and for the life of me this thing, is dead when it comes to sustain, or resonating. And the bridge pickup is microphonic. I read on HC that the microphonic pickup is a common problem. Anyone have any input? thanks

J

2. crazy4blues

crazy4blues Member

It's entirely possible, and there's no excuse for a special order like that. I've owned about 20 different ASATs, and they were all a little different. Some were definitely better than others.

Currently, I have a semi-hollow that has some very nice sustain. It also has something of growl-like bloom in the lower part of the neck. The only issues are a little bit of fret buzz and some "fretting out" on some of the upper frets (15th-17th), but it's not unacceptable for such a short-radius neck.

3. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

If the pickup is microphonic your friend should go back to the dealer and ask him to get a replacement. G&L will take care of him.

4. 1-Take-Wonder

1-Take-Wonder Member

+1. They'll do him right. Bum pickups happen every now and then.

The sustain/resonance issues are odd. I own an ASAT Classic and have played tons of G&Ls and have found them to be one of the most consistent makers out there.

I suppose it could be in what you're used to. My Classic is Swamp Ash, making it brighter and probably more resonant than other ASATs I've played, but it was more about wood choices and preference than one being "better" than the other.

Their finishes are bulletproof (read thick) so I suppose if you're used to paper-thin nitro then there may be a muting effect due to the finish...

that all I can think of...maybe its a just a dud, everyone has bad days.

5. Scott Cioe

Scott Cioe Member

I have never run into a dud, but certainly some have been better than others.

As noted above, have the dealer and G&L make the pickup right.

6. 1-Take-Wonder

1-Take-Wonder Member

I haven't either. There are always exceptions.

After probably playing hundreds of different G&Ls I can recall only one Legacy Special that was not my cup of tea. The maple top was giving it a weird ring, the HB wasn't working for my ears...but it was an exceptionally well-built guitar, played extremely well, and achieved what I believe the builder was going for. Save that guitar, every other G&L I've picked up I would gladly carry on stage.

7. hackenfort

hackenfort Supporting Member

In my experience with G&L the ones I have special ordered have in general been the worst guitars. I don't think it was because my expectations were that high, their wood seems to vary a great deal.

I have had much better luck finding a cheap used G&L sitting in the store that just sounds and feels great to me.

I do think the overall quality of G&L's are great, but when you get a dud, they are really a DUD.

Kevin

8. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

They are pretty consistent, but every one will be a bit different. I liked my ASAT Classic so much that my good buddy's wife and I bought him the identical one for his birthday. Except it's not. Mine has a little something extra. That's why I'm not buying a regular guitar sight unseen. If it speaks to me in person, I'll buy it. Too great a risk without playing it.

9. jordanL

jordanL Member

Some are better than others. As far as teh microphonic pickups, its often the bridge thats the culprit-My AC was Just as microphonic with a Barden as the oroginal pup. A little double stick tape under the bridge solved the issue.

10. dmkozak

dmkozak Member

As someone about to order a "keeper" ASAT, this thread doesn't give me great comfort. I guess all a customer can do is order from a very good dealer who will completely go over the guitar before delivery, and, if not acceptable, can either repair or has enough clout with G&L to return and ask for a "better" replacement.

11. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Interestingly my special ordered G&Ls (2 of them) have been "home runs", but I hear ya, Kevin, such that I no longer want to order 'spec' guitars. In general you're right, G&L quality is very high, but even the Fender custom shop makes duds, I've seen 'em & played 'em, so it can happen. In general I place G&L run of the mill production guitar quality well above Fender's production line stuff and approaching (sometimes exceeding) Fender custom shop quality.

Cheers,
    Jon

12. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

In general G&L does not build "stock" guitars. They are built as the dealer orders them. Therefore, it could be said they're all "special order" guitars. That being the case, "stock" and "special order" are the same thing.

What is amazing to one player could be crap to the next. I own two, they're both great. I've played more than I can remember and don't recall feeling that any were not worth the $$.

Yes, they are very consistent on quality and care a great deal about maintaining the reputation Leo worked a lifetime to establish.

13. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

As someone who's currently on a hunt for their 'last, best Tele,' and is considering a G&L, can you specify, when ordering one, stuff like, "sort for light/heavy/strongly figured/whatever' wood? I've seen on FatSound, for example, that apparently can be done for Fender's Custom Shop, and so I was curious.

14. hackenfort

hackenfort Supporting Member

Just wanted to share a G&L that I ordered special... Back in 1994 / 95 when the Fullerton model was just being developed. I purchased one thru a friend that worked at G&L.
    It arrived and was so alive, I bonded with it from the first notes I played on it unplugged. A super light ash body finished in sunburst, rosewood fretboard.

A few months later the guitar was officially announced so I called to order another. This time I specified ultra light weight ash, blonde finish, V neck. I guess they didn't want to do a V neck because of some trouble with the first few production ones (they were huge). We'll after going back and forth they agreed to build the guitar. I wanted another like the sunburst but blonde.

A month or so later it arrived, just beautiful, great neck shape, blonde finish with nice dark veins... My only problem the guitar must have weight near 10lbs, it played find but sounded so dead.
    The best part of all this, they even wrote in the pickup cavity under the finish "ultra light weight".