G & L ASAT Classic Bluesboy TRIBUTE: Opinions

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Pale Rider, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Supporting Member

Just wondering if any of you fine people might have actually had a little face time with one of these.
    Please do report on any and all loves and hates.

thanks
    very much

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Photo at left: ASAT Classic Bluesboy Semi-Hollow
    in 3-Tone Sunburst over Swamp Ash with Tortoise Shell pickguard

[/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]PICKUPS [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]G&L AS4250B Alnico humbucker with nickel cover in neck position[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif];[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    traditional-size G&L Magnetic Field Design single coil in bridge position
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]BODY WOOD [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Swamp Ash[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NECK WOOD [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hard Rock Maple with rosewood or maple fingerboard[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NECK RADIUS [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]9" (228.6mm) [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NECK WIDTH AT NUT [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 5/8" (41.3mm) [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]TUNING KEYS [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]18:1 ratio, sealed-back[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]BRIDGE [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Traditional boxed steel bridge with individual machined brass saddles[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CONTROLS [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3 position pickup selector, volume, tone [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]FINISH [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3-Tone Sunburst with Tortoise Shell pickguard and Rosewood fingerboard
    Clear Orange with Pearl pickguard and Maple fingerboard
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]OTHER [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]G&L Deluxe Gig Bag included in USA (Outside USA please contact your G&L distributor for availability)[/FONT]

2. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

G&L's kick ass... Bluesboy's are supposed to be awesome (especially if it's got a Seth Lover pup in the bridge). Mine is on it's way (used) and "should" be here "soon" <DHL, no estimates on delivery?> I'll report back.

3. Jamar

Jamar Supporting Member

i played one in cornerstone music in Florence SC. it was legit. I liked it a lot. I have a MIM Fat tele that I exchanged the stock humbucker for GFS. I thought the G&L sounded better than my tele. It would be my pick for a fat tele style guitar if I were buying one all stock...

4. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I tried one at GuitarMan in downtown NYC. Had tried a few tributes when they first came out, was less than impressed. But how things have changed. But for the pickup (I think the Seth Lover only comes in the USA made, the tribute has a house brand humbucker) you'd think it is the higher end model. Same bridge pickup. Same wonderful neck, perfect feel and finishing too. I was totally impressed by it, how much guitar that is for the money.

5. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Oh sorry, missed the Tribute part... I owned a MIK Tribute (it was an ASAT special, not a blueboy) and I thought it kicked ass for the price I got it for used. Big G&L fan all around.

6. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I've got that body in the "classic" (tele) style w/ maple neck. Great sound, fit and finish. Tuners need to be replaced. I'm sure there's a word for this, but the frets are a little wider than the neck making the feel not wonderful as it should be. all in all a nice guitar at the right price. i suspect the bluesboy would be the same.

7. mvsr990

mvsr990 Supporting Member

I noticed that fret issue on three or four ASATs (Tribute and USA) I tried at a local music store. Don't know what the deal is.

8. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

I have an ASAT Tribute, not a Bluesboy. Great for the money. No hates. The necks on the USA models are done better, akin to custom shop work. Not sure what the other differences are.

9. telefmt

telefmt Member

I have the Tribute Bluesboy, I actually 'traded down' from a US ASAT classic because the neck fit me better. It's very versatile, and as above I upgraded the tuners, but the rest is stock and is a really good guitar for the money.
    FWIW they are all QA'd at the Calif factory after import now......