G&L ASAT Classic Custom order thoughts?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by james..., Jun 22, 2019.

1. james...

james... Supporting Member

Between you and me, I'm really considering a Bluesboy.

I've played enough G&L's to know that playability wise, I'm totally on board. To me, they're Tele in everything but Pickups and neck carve. I happen to LOVE the necks. It's the pickups I'm iffy on.

Pickups can be swapped, if completely necessary.

Does the G&L ASAT Alnico body have a swimming pool route?

2. Lwilliams

Lwilliams Supporting Member

I have owned several ASAT guitars. My latest is the ASAT Classic Semi-hollow. Turquoise metal flake with matching head. Deleted the f-hole.

I did not go with the alnico pups because they sound pretty much like Fender Tele pickups. I have several Tele's and wanted this one to be different. The "standard" G&L Classic pickups work great in mine.

So......unless you really want the humbucker in the neck, just go with the alnico pickups. You will be able to buy any Tele pickups and they will fit.

If you choose the hum bucker, make sure to order an additional pickguard that is cut for the standard alnico pickup. G&L pick guards are really hard to get in the aftermarket. Most makers want a tracking to cut you a guard.

BTW - you are going to love the guitar!!

3. DCFanatic

DCFanatic Member

I have a G&L build to order in progress from Axe Palace as well. Was quoted build time of 8 to 10 weeks. Sitting now at 12 weeks and haven't heard anything about the guitar. Great guitars though. Will be my 3rd G&L.

I actually really like the stock Tele Pickups on my Custom Classic. I'd try them out !

Benderp likes this.
  4. bigben55

bigben55 Member

I think the Bluesboy wither has or ar least can still be ordered with the SS Seth Lover neck humbucker. That's a great pickup. Didnt know you could get the alnico bridge pup instead of the MFD, so do that!

5. Benderp

Benderp Supporting Member

Just glad we made it all the way without one mention of the headstock for a change. Love G&L myself, if you're worried about how bright, those controls can get you anywhere you want to be. Love the Blue Sparkle too, rad!!

6. james...

james... Supporting Member

I ended up going with the normal Alnico pickups, sans Humbucker. IF I don't like it i'll just shove a PAF in there later.

7. xrcdan

xrcdan Member

2300 for that seems high-i bought a asat classic alnico ordered with premium paint(swamp ash), locking tuners and different pickguard and paid 1350 for it . very nice guitar with great playability.

8. Schlep

Schlep Member

I would go with stock pickups and live with them for a while. Work with setting pickup height and amp settings before moving on to other pickups.

The matching sparkle head stock is outrageous ! I love it.

Gig Young likes this.
  9. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

I’m a longtime G&L fan, particularly the large MFDs in ASAT Specials. The hotter ASAT Classic MFD in the Bluesboy bridge is the perfect complement to the Seth Lover in the neck position. The middle position is perfect IMO and you lose that with any pickup changes. The sliver is great in this guitar.
    FWIW...

10. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

i second that emotion. and i am a g&l fan.

11. Codyyy

Codyyy Member

Have you spec’d out the guitar online at AxePalaxe and MusicStoreLive? I’ve used both to figure out prices and options, haven’t ordered yet. They do show a listing for different manufacturers of pickups, up charge of course. But if you’ll change them out anyway, it might be better to build it with what you want rather than immediately taking it apart.

12. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

FWIW - I had a G&L for awhile, plugged in a set of Fralin pickups - sounded fantastic. I ultimately sold it to buy something else, at a time when I was trying out different things. But, I liked the Fralin pickups much better than the G&Ls, especially the neck.

13. Buck Woodson

Buck Woodson Member

14. Slevin

Slevin Supporting Member

Nope. Swapped mine out for a don mare and it fit perfectly. Neck pickup swapped for a ron thorn gt90. Even in my legacy I swapped pickup covers for cream fender replacements since g&l doesn’t offer cream and they fit like a glove (meaning any pickup could be replaced in the guard). I think this was an issue pre 2016 but they’ve got standard as of late with sizes