G&L ASAT Classic or ... ??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dnp41, May 21, 2015.

1. dnp41

dnp41 Member

Hi Guys,

I'm currently shopping for a telecaster model to complement my strat and LP. I realy like how the sound of a tele cuts trough the mix in a live situation, and since my band (coverband: Funk, Rock and everything in between) is adding a lead guitar player I would like to have the tele as an option to use as rhythm axe.

I stubbled upon the G&L ASAT classic (tribute) in my local guitar shop and I was sooo amazed by the build quality and the feel of the guitar. Love it. However, the sound is not really what I was looking for.

I really want to try the SQ CV 50's tele, but no shop in my area has one on stock. I've watched a lot of clips on this guitar and really dig the sound.

Bassicly I'm trying to decide which way to go: either buy the G&L (perhaps switch pickups) or look for another option like the Squier classic vibe and hail mary order it online..

Any recommendations?

2. phel21

phel21 Member

You need to look for one of the recent ASATs with alnico pickups if you want a G&L with classic tele sound. G&L's build quality is good, even the cheaper tributes are decent, but I never liked their ceramic pickups much.

3. dnp41

dnp41 Member

According to the G&L website the tribute versions are not available with stock alnico pups. I would look for a used USA model, but G&L's tend to be very rare in the country I live in...

4. Turi

Turi Member

Was the amp you tried the G&L through the exact same amp as the one you use at home/gigs?

You can't gauge a guitars sound in store unless you brought your own amp.

5. SouthpawGuy

SouthpawGuy Member

G&Ls respond to pickup changes like any other guitar. I have a set of Wilde noisefree pickups in my US ASAT Classic, and it sounds like a "real" tele to me.

You may want to revisit the Tribute and try it with a different amp. As mentioned some amps do not respond well to G&Ls MFD pickups, my ASAT Special with the larger rectangular MFDs sound great through a Blues Jnr and AC30, but not so great with a Laney TT50 combo. The ASAT Classic with the Wilde p'ups however sounds fantastic through the same Laney amp.

6. dnp41

dnp41 Member

I didn't bring my own amp. I've played it trough a Vox AC 15 (i think). It did sound very nice. I was (originally) however looking for a "twangy" guitar to cut trough the mix. The lack of this specific sound is pretty much the reason I didn't buy it on the spot. I will try to bring my own amp next time. It is however very good to know that I could always go for a pickup swap and get a little closer to the "real tele" sound.

7. Turi

Turi Member

If you want twang, raise the treble on the amp a bit.

Every guitar can twang imo.