G&L ASAT Classic versus boutique tele's, nocasters

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 12strings, Feb 5, 2012.

1. 12strings

12strings Member

How do ASAT classics stack up against other tele's such as Danocaster, Fender Custom Shop, boutiques, etc.?

Can boutique pickups like lollars, mares be installed in ASAT classics? How about Glendale bridges and saddles?

Thanks in advance.

2. Lowlands Erik

Lowlands Erik Member

I have a '94 Classic.
    Beautiful piece of wood.
    Sounded great with the ceramic pickups but after 15 years I decided to put in some alnico pups (Hamels). I like the sound and feel of the alnico pups better.

So, no problem putting in other pups.
    I left the original wiring, bridge etc
    No need to replace them.
    Although I love a 3 barrel bridge, the Classic's 6 saddle bridge is great.
    I guess you could replace the bridge with a Glendale (I use them too).

cheers
    Erik

3. frank4001

frank4001 Member

I put Don Mare's Sportster's in one of mine and love it. Maple neck. Lightweight guitar too... I have a black ASAT Classic Custom with big MFD in front and standard one in the back .... Rosewood board. It's not like I don't like the G&L pickups. Excellent guitar but darker sounding and a bit heavier weight.

While I had the black G&L on order a Re-Fin '63 Tele showed up in my life at very reasonable price. Completley done and ready to go. I sucked it up and bought it. Love that guitar. That being said I wouldn't bother with changing out the bridge on the G&L. I think it sounds and performs in a good way.. Here is picture before I swapped the pickpus..

Just ammending this to add that I really like G&L MFD's. I changed them out (and still have them) of some curiosity and to have a backup for a traditional style sound. My black G&L stock is an all round excellent guitar.. I still have all three...

[​IMG]

Another shot of the '63...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  4. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I don't understand why people want to buy a G&L and change out all of the stuff. IMO, the reason you buy G&L's are for the bridges, pickups, etc. That's what sets them apart. If you don't want that, there are plenty of Fenders out there to hack up.

5. bc-cosmo

bc-cosmo Member

^^^
    This

The G&L bridge pickup is really distinctive and usable--I've swapped pickups in my bluesboy, but the original works best.

6. Seafoam Green

Seafoam Green Member

I have no comments on the G&L's (great guitars though) but that '63 looks delectable!

7. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

I have three Nocasters and an ASAT Classic. I love Roy Buchanan and Bill Frisell. The ASAT Classic holds up fine. More of a modern sound for when I'm trying to sound like Bill Frisell. The workmanship is comparable and mine is fairly light weight.

8. frank4001

frank4001 Member

It's a great guitar. I saw it without electrical stuff in the corner of a repairman's shop. I felt the neck and asked him that if he got together would he give a chance to buy it.
    (This repaiman now works for PRS building Artist Guitars. Like if some famous guy calls, he builds it. He's repaired Abert Kings flying V. I mean the guy is great.)

So he puts it together and gives me about 2 hours to by it before he brings to a local boutique like shop and cashes in. No haggleing, nothing. Cash or it's gone. I play it. It's great. I buy it. I've had two or three chances at great affordable (stretch) vintage stuff in 30 odd years of this. I jumped on it. Played it hard for two years too. Lots of gigs and some recording. Glad I pulled the trigger...

That being said I love my G&L's too...

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  9. johnnyqb

johnnyqb Member

The ASAT Classic is a beautiful guitar. As some have said, leave it stock! The pups are distinct from tele pups, some like them more, some less. Generally, they are quieter than tele pups. I don't think it is quite fair to a Rice Custom or Danocaster to compare them to an ASAT though. Those boo-teek-ee teles are at a higher level.

10. lumco

lumco Most of the roads I travel are muddy Gold Supporting Member

I have 2 ASAT Classics.. older models, nice guitars but the frets seem like traks under my fingers and hard to bond with them.

11. duaneallen

duaneallen Supporting Member

I put Lollar T's in mine and like it much better. It really sounds like a great tele now.

12. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I think perhaps the #1 defining element is the neck join, 22 fret zero overhang and considerably wider. Custom fitted and with the plane of the fretboard well above the body face, quite unlike the FMIC models.

But I haven't changed a G + L pickup and don't plan to soon, I agree on that.

I like replacing the Delrin ferrule block with aluminum or brass, and changing tuners and bridge parts. You can tweak the sound this way, in addition to leveling and polishing the frets. I've also buffed up the satin parts of the neck where contact is made; I like the feel better.

13. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

All these other guitars are Fenders or Fender copies.

+

The G + Ls are sui generis. They're a critter all unto themselves. They differ in serious, material ways. Frankly they're far and away the most distinct T and S type guitars made of conventional materials. I mean, obviously a Trussart is more different but there are very few exceptions.

14. LonesomeCraig

LonesomeCraig Member

I have 3 G&L Asat Classics. They are very solid and stable. They are very well put together and visually perfect. There are many neck shapes to choose from. The pickups are great with a more modern sound and increased output. The volume and tone controls have a broad range, and many different sounds can be found here.

I have changed the pickups on (2) of them, looking for a more traditional sound. The results were fantastic! Rumpelstiltskin white ropes wound slightly hotter in the Ash/Maple ASAT and Ron Ellis 50/60' set in the Alder/Rosewood ASAT. The 3rd ASAT will stay stock and is perfect.

The electronics are top notch as is the bridge. That being said I did change the bridges on two of them to traditional tele bridges. I like the Joe Barden ones because of the small cutout where your pinky rests. Then 3 compensated brass saddles from Mark Rutters.

The pickup and bridge swap was as easy as it gets. No adjustments needed!

15. upfrontguitars

upfrontguitars Member

The key to the ASAT Classic is the pickups. They may be more "modern" as some people describe, but I would also say more flexible. It's not a guitar you play full-up all the time, and it you work the volume and tone controls you can get Classic Tele and more punchy rock tones. The bridge pickup has great output and with the right pedal has a fantastic lead guitar tone with tons of sparkle and overtones. If you want true authentic Tele tones only, buy a higher end Fender or one of the many high quality clones from smaller builders. Buying an ASAT Classic and dropping in Lollars or something is self defeating.

16. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

If I was going to get a G&L, the pickups are what make them unique so I wouldn't want to swap them.

17. he_is_kyle

he_is_kyle Member

I agree with most of what has been said. The only american G&L ASAT classic that I've played had a very dark tone to it, not that that is bad, just not the vintage tele twang. Definitely a more modern sound. I'd compare it to the sound of texas specials except even thicker, but still a very balanced sound. It was also by far the heaviest telecaster I've ever played.

18. Lowlands Erik

Lowlands Erik Member

I really don't see why hacking up my G&L is such a strange thing to do.

I bought the G&L because it was a better playing and sounding guitar then guitars from other brands (including Fender) that were available at the time.

After 15 years I decided I wanted to try different pickups. Does that defeat the purpose of buying the G&L in the first place? I don't think so.:bonk It sounds even better now.

So why drag "buy a Fender" into it if someone wants to experiment? I hack up most of my guitars until I am satisfied. Maybe I will put the ceramics back someday.

By the way: putting the "old" ceramic pickups in a Fender doesn't make a G&L out of it!

19. duaneallen

duaneallen Supporting Member

You're not allowed to change the pickups in your G&L guitars to try to sound like a Fender. You're supposed to buy a Fender and change out the Fender pickups for something else so that it can sound more like a Fender. Awesome!:bonk

20. gitapik

gitapik Member

I love my ASAT Classic. If I want a traditional Tele sound, I'll buy a Tele. As is, it can play a lot of styles...and it's an unbelievable blues and rock guitar. And I like what it does with country and jazz.

It is heavy, though...that's true.

[​IMG]