G&L ASAT Classic vs. Fender American Tele

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by duaneallen, Dec 23, 2009.

1. duaneallen

duaneallen Supporting Member

Man, I just played a killer white ASAT Classic yesterday and have major GAS pains. Great guitar with a great sound. I really wanted to get a Fender, but this guitar just kills. Any other ASAT owners here? Anyone compare these to their Fender counterparts? How do you like the pickups on the ASAT? I know that they are ceramic, which I normally wouldn't like, but they do sound great. All opinions are welcome.

2. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I haven't tried this lately. Back when I got my ASAT Classic, '94, I tried a number of teles, all price ranges. The G&L cost 700 bucks then. Nothing Fender in that price range came close IMO. To be fair, this particular G&L is the best ASAT Classic I've played as well, so this might be more about an individual instrument than any kind of fair comparison.

The bridge p/u on the G&L never worked for me. Neither did the 6 saddle setup. The neck p/u by now a longtime favorite ... I'd never swap it out. With a Don Mare 0038 in the bridge, glendale bridge and saddles, this ASAT Classic is much better than stock, and it was really good right out of the box.
    MD

3. robelinda2

robelinda2 Member

Bought a USA standard tele and a road worn tele earlier in the year, liked em. Then a few months ago I happened to find a new ASAT classic in vintage white, smokin axe. I much preferred the tone and playability, so I bought it. Like the feel of the USA teles but the tone is huge with the ASAT.

4. Axekisser

Axekisser Member

I have a '91 ASAT Classic Signature, I'm the original owner and love it. I just recently put some BL Keystones in it to get some of that original Tele sound and they sound great. Mine's ash with a maple neck.

5. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

I love G&L ASAT Classics. Mine is a 2000 and has an orange, Gretsch-type finish over ash. I played a bunch when I bought it and this one really stood out. They are all over the place weight-wise and prior to the last few years when they started using a CNC machine, all of the necks were different. You really have to play a bunch and find one that you like.

I never really liked the G&L MFD pickups. For most of my ASAT's life, it had a Seymour Duncan Broadcaster in the bridge and some other Seymour Duncan in the neck -- a really great sound. Currently, it has a Don Mare variation of his Super Sport pickups and they are awesome. I've also changed out the tone pot. The stock G&L has a great linear taper pot that is great for dialing in usable sounds. However, I like the drastic Roy Buchanan volume swell and needed an audio taper pot. Finally, both of the ASAT Classics that I've owned had loose jacks that caused certain cords to fall out. I've changed that as well (which is a real pain because it is glued in).

About four months ago I got a good deal on a Nocaster. It is the black one, below. The ASAT Classic is every bit as well-built as the Nocaster, just different. The ASAT Classic has an extra fret, a shallower neck, and is a bit heavier. However, it is a much more even sound up, down, and across the fretboard and always stays in tune. I also prefer the feel on my forearm of the poly finish over the Nocaster's rough nitro. The Nocaster is more of a raw, acoustic sound that is a bit moody -- a really great trait in a tele-style guitar. However, the pickups might have something to do with that.

I usually tweak every guitar that I get. An ASAT Classic is an awesome platform for that. Used, it is about $1400 less than a Nocaster. For the same money, you could buy 2-3 used ASAT Classics with different flavors. I would definitely choose the ASAT Classic.

[​IMG]

6. Mcclassic

Mcclassic Member

Great guitars, I have 3 asat classic and only 1 regular tele (besides a '66). The G&L are really great construction and great tone, somewhat different to the fender tele, still very good.

Rotten, I have one exactly like your orange, cool!:dude

7. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

Hey Mcclassic, post a pic. I'd love to compare your orange one to mine!

8. Big Al Z

Big Al Z Member

I have a CS Tele and had a ASAT Classic. The only reason the G&L is gone is that I couldn't live with the 7.5 radius. But after the holidays I will be on the lookout for another. Quality of the G&L is definitly at the CS level. And it's very afordable.

9. humbuster

humbuster Senior Member

I have owned several G&L ASATs and Teles.

I currently own 2 Thin Skin Teles (AV52 and AV62).

10. hcole

hcole Member

Pretty different guitars, if they weren't the same shape this question would probably never get asked. That said, I have an ASAT Classic and I think it's a fantastic sounding and playing guitar.