• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

G&L ASAT Classic

Puckman

Yes. Orange. Sadly, my photographing skills are quite subpar and the lighting in that room was not optimal.

This is more reflective of the guitar's true color:

Lowlands Erik

I bought mine in '94 after reading a Telecaster shoot out in GP. A friend of mine had a very nice Special that pushed me in the G&L direction.
They were quite rare in Holland and bloody expensive too.
I changed the ceramic pups two years ago for some Hamels. It sounds even better now.

Erik

Kmaz

Silver Supporting Member

The Orange is a very nice colour on the G&L ASAT with maple board.

Kmaz

Silver Supporting Member
Can someone describe the neck shape on a stock G&L ASAT? The neck it comes with is called a #2 and it has a 7.25 radius. Does this one have some meat to it or do you find it quite thin? Thanks

SouthpawGuy

Yes, that's the G&L I'd love to own right there. I really like that Natural Gloss finish, but not sure about the 12" radius. Does it work well with the thick neck shape?

Thanks for the pics!
Yes the 12" radius does work with the chunky neck. I also have a Bluesboy semi with an even bigger neck and 12" radius, non "v" profile. I might add that I'm not really dependant on a particular neck profile or radius, I like them all. All of the necks on my ASATs are different, from old to new ones they all vary, and I actually like that a lot. I have a '97 American Std Tele and Strat and a '93 American Std Strat and they all have identical necks, 100% the same. I'm not knocking Fender here, I have quite a few as they were the default for me for a long long time but as a left handed player it was a revelation discovering G&L two years ago after playing for 28 years.

More GAS .. if you are thinking of going for an ASAT you seriously need to check out a Bluesboy, this one is a solid body with gun oil tint neck and belly cut, Seth Lover in the neck.

Kmaz

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, that's sharp. I'll bet that Seth Lover comes in handy too. SPG, I wish you lived in my town! :)

Arc Angel

Are G&L's generally fairly bright? Do the semi-hollows moderate this somewhat.

I had an ash bodied legacy which was very bright (almost shrill) with its stock pick ups ...

joeDRII

I've got 2; they're great value for money, especially barely used.

I switch the bridge out for a Tele 3 barrel type, with compensated saddles. And I install a Tone Block from Vince Stadler (Taipantone) in aluminum or brass in place of the factory Delrin block.

Now, the frets are not small and you will have to pay attention as to whether the one you are buying is 7.50 radius or 12 radius.
What effect does the Taipantone block have?

Rotten

Gold Supporting Member
Here is mine with my Nocaster Relic. My ASAT has Don Mares in it. It is a great, great guitar.

Kmaz

Silver Supporting Member
SPG, is this your G&L? I thought I recognized the grain from a pic you posted at the TDP. Beautiful!

SouthpawGuy

SPG, is this your G&L? I thought I recognized the grain from a pic you posted at the TDP. Beautiful!

Yes, that's my ASAT III, it has a five way switch and S500 MFDs which are not the same as regular ASAT MFDs. The neck pickup is very stratty. It was made in the mid to late '90s and has the slimmest neck of all of my G&Ls. Also has the three bolt neck, I personally don't prefer the three over the four bolt neck.

Obligatory pics ...

GA20T

I've never quite enjoyed the Telecaster as much since having played my friend's orange & maple ASAT Classic at a few gigs. That neck was so huge it took some getting used to though.

Kmaz

Silver Supporting Member
Thin necks seems to be a common complaint on certain G&L guitars. I had a 1995 Legacy that had a 'too thin' neck profile also. I hear that in this decade they have moved to larger shapes. I'm sure you have noticed the trend?

Kmaz

Silver Supporting Member
Rotten, this is a great pic. Orange really works on those maple-neck Asats.

SouthpawGuy

Thin necks seems to be a common complaint on certain G&L guitars. I had a 1995 Legacy that had a 'too thin' neck profile also. I hear that in this decade they have moved to larger shapes. I'm sure you have noticed the trend?
The newer necks are definitely on the larger side, from medium to chunky. Mind you the last Legacy I bought is a '97 and it has a fuller neck than the ASAT III pictured above, not thin at all.

Rotten

Gold Supporting Member
The newer G&L necks are not a gamble because they are CNCd. There is a really great one with a big beefy neck at Buffalo Bros. right now; it's relatively light weight and supremely great sounding. It's the one with the wood binding.

My orange ASAT above was made when they hand finished the necks, so they are all over the place. This one isn't particularly thick, but it has ridges at both sides makeing it almost a D shape; it's a really great shape for me.

I can say for sure that the ASAT Classic is different than my Nocaster, but definitely no worse in build or quality. Love'em both.

j_el_jee

Silver Supporting Member
My 96, bought new in 97 out of the consignment shop at Gelb when they quit carrying them.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom