g&l asat - different types

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rorschah, Aug 5, 2005.

1. rorschah

rorschah Member

So I've managed to find and play a G&L ASAT classic and a Special semi-hollow. Both seemed great - the special semi-hollow in particular had a lovely warmth to it, and that touch of p90 midrange spit. Less twang/crunch, though

Quick question: I haven't been able to play the other permutations, so I don't know if I'm responding to the semi-hollowness or the p90-esques or some interaction of the two.

If you've played 'em all, how do the ASAT Classic semi-hollow and the ASAT Special solidbody compare?

-thi

2. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Your post reminds me that everyone hears things differently. I hear the semi-hollow ASATs as having a scooped midrange compared to the solid-bodies. I also don't think the large MFD pickups (the ones in the Specials) sound anything like P90s. They are pretty "hi-fi" sounding with strong highs, mids, and lows - not the way I'd describe P90s.

In my opinion, the large MFD pickups are some of the best on the market, particularly in the neck position. It can cover all sorts of sounds. However, if you are one to swap pickups out on guitars, then the Classic is a better platform, as there are more pickups that will fit that routing.

Don't forget to ask your question at www.guitarsbyleo.com as you'll get lots of feedback from G&L fans.

Bryan

3. KRosser

KRosser Member

You gotta play lots of them - there are lots of subtle variations tonally & feel-wise between each guitar, even within the same model with the same features.

FWIW, I've never played one I'd characterize as NOT feeling or sounding good...

4. Phil M

Phil M Member

I'm kind of surprised that I don't ever see or hear about them on these boards, but I remember G&L in the mid-90s had ASATs with flame tops, body binding and dual humbuckers. Pretty fancy cross between a Tele and Paul, but I don't think I've ever seen someone post about one here. It's always the ones with the single coils that look more like trad. Teles.

5. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I just bought a G&L Tribute ASAT Classic Semi-Hollow. I compared the American version with the Trib, and I just prefered the action and feel of the import. At one third the price, that didn't hurt either!

Soundwise, the American has the edge, but the ASAT is a niche guitar for me, not a main instrument, so I'm not that fanatical about it. I do plan to upgrade the pots and pickups eventually, but the weight, playability, acoustic tone, build quality and such of the Tribute is very high quality.

I had first looked a Fenders. Nothing Fender offers in this price range comes anywhere close in quality to the Tributes, IMHO.

6. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I did, only once. It was an ash Legacy that was super lightweight, the lightest ash body I've ever held. It sounded like crap, as resonant as balsa wood. But I can't make that statement about any other G&L I've played.

7. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

That is the ASAT Deluxe model. You'll see some people posting about them on www.guitarsbyleo.com , but they definitely aren't as popular as the other models. One reason this is that the solid body models tend to be quite heavy. I had one for a while and it would put my leg to sleep in minutes. I also didn't care for the tone of that guitar, probably due to the pickup choice.

Bryan

8. bluesman69

bluesman69 Member

The pickups in the Tributes are the same as the US G&L models.

9. cvansickle

So I've heard, but I don't think I believe that. I removed the knob plate on mine, in an attempt to clean a scratchy volume pot. The pickup wiring is extremely thin, characteristic of what I've seen on Korean imports since the 80s. I have a real hard time believing that $1500+ American versions use the same wiring.

10. bluesman69

bluesman69 Member

Same pickups not wiring or pots..

11. cvansickle

I've ordered a prewired pot and switch replacement kit from Paul Gomes.

12. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

ASAT Special...damn fine guitar.
    Custom Shop build at Stock prices!
    S.
    j

13. Rich

Rich Member

The US ASATs in all varieties are GREAT guitars. Dont let anybody tell you otherwise.

But dont let him tell you that they sound "better" than a Tele (upper case intended) either. They sound different. Because of the pups-- ceramic, high output, even on the so called "Classic" which is most Tele like in configuration. You want a Fender Tele sound, ..... you know the rest.

They've gotten more expensive new over the last few years, but you can pick up pretty good used bargains most of the time. Because they are the bastard second child and generally dont carry the resale value.