G&L Asat Pickup Height

DavidMgT

The tricky thing is that you can adjust both the pickup height and the pole height. I would start at a baseline and give it a single turn until you find a sound you are happy with. You can then do the same with each pole piece. It is really remarkable what adjusting the pole piece height will do for the guitar's tone.

frank4001

I just had a bit of a revelation with the small MFD's but maybe the same holds true for the larger ones. I was going for a more vintage sound with them. I lowered the pole pieces all the way down and the raised the G and D poles a bit on both pickups. Slanted the treble side up a bit on the back pickup. I started with the front and got it as low as I could and balanced the back pickup's height till the volume was even. I'm getting a more vintage type tone out of it now and the last two gigs its just been outstanding. I have real '62 and '63 tele's (great sounding refins) and I was almost going to give up on the MFD's. They were great for hard Rock/Cover gigs but for the stuff I am doing now they were a little too clean at low volume and too over the top pushing the front of the amp full out. This adjustement has worked really well. Now I get great warm med-low volume tone and just a killer wide open tone. Working the tone knob of course.

hunter

Silver Supporting Member
I just had a bit of a revelation with the small MFD's but maybe the same holds true for the larger ones. I was going for a more vintage sound with them. I lowered the pole pieces all the way down and the raised the G and D poles a bit on both pickups. Slanted the treble side up a bit on the back pickup. I started with the front and got it as low as I could and balanced the back pickup's height till the volume was even.

Pretty much the way I set up the large MFD's. I put a slight upward slant on both neck and bridge pups on the treble side. I don't raise the pole pieces though. The G&L factory setup recommendations have the pups much closer to the strings. You get em hot this way and they can be close without string pull problems.

I prefer em lower. They still have plenty of output. Good clarity and sweeter sound. After playing the factory setup a couple of weeks when I bought the guitar new, I set my 94 up like this (in 94) and haven't gone back. Don't think I could move the polepieces now if I wanted to.

A_ASAT_Clr_Red_04.jpg

hunter

Trending Topics

Top Bottom