G&L Asat pickups

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Kmaz, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

What are the stock pickups like in an American G&L Asat? Great quality? Keepers?

Thanks

2. guitarman_nebr

guitarman_nebr Supporting Member

they sound as great as advertised. kind of a mix of Tele and P-90.

the only problem i found was they are noisy. enough so i sold the guitar because i couldn't squash the pickup noise.

however, that was only on a couple ASAT's.

the tone was outstanding!!

3. SouthpawGuy

SouthpawGuy Member

I find the opposite to be the case, the MFDs used in my ASATs and S500s are less noisy than standard single coil pickups while being louder and fuller in tone.

4. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

Thanks, guys. There was a nice lefty G&L Asat in Natural finish that I have been watching at Guitar Adoptions, but I see that it has sold. :(

SouthpawGuy, did you buy it? ;)

5. SouthpawGuy

SouthpawGuy Member

Nope, not me I'm afraid.

6. geetarman

geetarman Member

I like them they're like singles on steroids but nothing like a P90.

7. gtraddict

gtraddict Member

If it is a Special I always think of them as being the next step in the Jazzmaster pickup, there are a lot of tones to be found in them. I have two specials and a classic custom. The Classic are beefed up singles and with less noise

8. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

I've found this to be the case also in ALMOST every circumstance. In an old victorian house, with knob and tube wiring, it was the opposite case! Really freaked me out.

9. gtraddict

gtraddict Member

They are higher output pickups, sounds like a lot of grounding issues with the wiring

10. gobseulmuhri

gobseulmuhri Member

I played an American ASAT once and I LOVED the pickups. It was sparkly and clear while having a punchy fatness you don't often get in tele pickups, especially in the bridge position.

So, I bought a used MFD ASAT bridge pickup and it turned out to be super microphonic in my tele to the point of being unuseable. It was wax potted too...It may have been that my particular piece was just defective, but I have read in a bunch of places that these pickups tend to be microphonic in general, though I'm not sure to the degree I experienced.

11. KGWagner

KGWagner Member

For whatever it's worth, I've found that any G&L is like a Fender+. That is, if you like a particular Fender model, you'll like the G&L analogue a little more.

12. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

I'm a huge Fender Tele fan and have been curious about the G&L Tele-style for almost a decade now. Don't know why I've never pulled the trigger on one? Maybe that I've been worried about the necks. I like larger neck shapes.

13. D.G.

D.G. Member

The ASAT MFD soapbar pups are the best sounding pickups I've ever heard. However, they do pick up a lot more ambient 60hz hum due (IMO) to their wide/flat design. I also really love the standard tele sized MFD pups. I don't recall the hum being any different than standard alnico pups.

14. bgood

bgood Member

The bridge in my ASAT classic is a tad microphonic but it sounds really good!!!

15. tnvol

tnvol Supporting Member

The pups in mine are awesome. Really quiet. I haven't changed anything on that guitar because it's all perfect.

16. Jef Bardsley

Jef Bardsley Member

+1

Most of our customers find that to get a G&L with MFDs to sound like a Fender* you just turn down the Bass, Treble, and Volume a bit (on the guitar).

Myself, I love the ASAT pickups, especially the big ones. They possess tremendous sensitivity, and I get more tone from my hands with less effort.

* I'm a Les Paul guy at heart, and while I hear the similarity, I don't think an Agile sounds like a Historic, and I don't think a Historic sounds like a 'Burst. I'm sure there are Fender fans who will disagree about G&Ls, also finding them not "close enough". The body resonance of a G&L is typically quite a bit lower than a Fender. (Still, our manager is a true blue Fender guy, and he also loves G&Ls for what they do. He has several of both.)

17. johnmfer

johnmfer Supporting Member

I had an ASAT classic and the bridge pickup was the most microphonic I've ever had. Normally I'd have trouble getting feedback out of a solid body guitar, this one would squeal if you looked at it funny.

18. guitarman_nebr

guitarman_nebr Supporting Member

i tried the ASAT in a noisy situation side by side with an American Tele. the Fender was quieter. average single coil noise, but quieter.

my buddy had the same problem, poor wiring and neon in bar settings. he put on a Suhr BBSC (i think that is right) to help with the situation.

in a studio setting, it was a great guitar.

i think the ASAT pickups are the best sounding i have heard in a Tele type guitar.

19. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

The sound clips on the G&L website are very good. Lots of character in this guitar.

20. Wagster

Wagster Member

+1 I've owned 3 ASAT Classics that all squealed like a pig. I called G&L and they even sent me a new set that did the exact same thing. I just bought a ASAT Special and the frets have already popped up. I have to have them re-glued. I don't know what's up with G&L but they need to get their act together.