G&L ASAT pickups?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sabbath90, May 11, 2005.

1. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

how do you guys like those rectangular pickups in ASATs? the ones that look like a cross between a single coil and P90. i'm considering selling one of my les pauls and picking up a semi-hollow ASAT with those pickups and want some feedback. thanks guys.

2. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

IMHO Leo Fender's best invention since the Stratocaster.

3. aquadog

aquadog Member

Go for it, they're great. I just convinced my guitar teacher to pick up a semi hollow asat, and both he and I are extremely impressed. I got a comanche myself, so I guess I'm already a G&L fan. Great guitars and pickups.

4. bluesman69

bluesman69 Member

5. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

hey bluesman, the bigsby made me 100% sure that an ASAT is in my future. that looks like one very very sweet axe man.:dude

6. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

I love them. They sound like my tele only a little brighter and a little louder.

The only problem with them is once you get used to how they respond and how to set your amp and how to use the knobs on the ASAT, other guitars seem kind of bland when playing in a band. At least in my case that's what happened. I often bring about 4 guitars to a gig and once I pick up the ASAT, the other 3 sit in their stands all night.

7. MCG

MCG Member

I really like the ASAT specials myself. Great guitars, great pickups.

MCG

8. bluesman69

bluesman69 Member

It is one of my favorite players!!! After I got mine about 3 other people in my area ordered one just like it!!

9. erksin

erksin Member

Definitely the coolest G&L I've ever seen - very nice!

10. Grap

Grap Member

I'm a long-time G&L fan. I really like the big MFD's, they seem to give you a bit more of everything...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- Steve

11. bluesman69

bluesman69 Member

Love the Jr. !!!!

12. jordanL

jordanL Member

My favorite version of the MFD's I have the earliest version of them on an SC-2,and the later version in the ASAT junior. I think the windings are alittle different in the SC-2 but don't know the details. Great pickups for most roots styles.

and the Saddle lock bridge that's standard on most Asats is a great design as well.

[​IMG]

13. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

what is the general new and used pricing on a G&L ASAT?

14. jordanL

jordanL Member

For a basic ASAT special - about $600 used, I think 850-900 new. Options can push prices up quite a bit.

15. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

ASATs are a personal favorite. I prefer setting the pups as low as they'll go. The output is still good (as good as any standard Tele style pup) and the pup is a little sweeter that way. G&L does everything by hand (including winding and potting pups I believe) and not all of them sound exactly the same to my ear but they are all good. They have a natural compression to them that I really like.

Listen to some Desert Rose Band cuts with John Jorgenson and you can probably hear some of this. For sure other things are in play with Jorgenson's sound, but I still hear some of that ASAT pup compression.

I much prefer the neck pup to a standard tele neck and the in between position is great for funk, R&B and soul (and blues I suppose). The bridge is a little fatter and may not get the exact "tele" twang but as evidenced by the Desert Rose Band and early Hellecasters stuff (Will Ray and John Jorgenson were ASAT guys then), the guitar can twang in it's own way.

I have solid and hollow ASATs and enjoy both types. Good guitars.

hunter

16. Dirge

Dirge Member

I recently got an ASAT Classic with the smaller MFD pickups. The bridge pickup tends to squeal with high-gain. Do the larger pickups have the same problem?

I know the tele bridge is adding to the problem but it's not loose or anything.

17. jordanL

jordanL Member

My classic had the same problem, IT was the bridge not the pickup. I tried a Barden in the bridge and the problem remained-I finally put a little double stick tape under the bridge and the problem went away. A more elegant solution is to use melted wax under the bridge. I think thats why certain controversion Tele bridges feature extra screws.

Hunter -Will Ray still uses G&L guitars as his main axe-its based on the ASAT Z-3.

18. bluesman69

bluesman69 Member

He has his own signature model and it is one of my favorites also!
    G&L Will Ray Model
    [​IMG]

19. Dirge

Dirge Member

Thanks Jordan! You were right it was the bridge, I put a little bit of double sided tape under the front edge of the bridge and the squealin' is gone. I owe you a beer or 6.

My classic is clear orange too. :cool:

20. jordanL

jordanL Member

Glad it worked out, much easier than getting the Pup repotted.