G&L ASAT problems; what to do?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Gasp100, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I just bought an ASAT classic off of evil bay and it's a semi-dud... I'm frankly VERY surprised it's playing as bad as it is because I was under the impression that it would take a lot to make a USA ASAT play like garbage. The main concerns are that the G and high E are completely pinched. The top 3 strings are not in tune with one another up the fretboard, the nut looks like it's not cut/filed completely right and the action should be much better. Other than that it looks sick and the neck (although satin finish, not gun oil tint) seems like it might have promise. The neck is fat and wide (must be 12" which I thought was more rare with ASAT classics) but I can live with it with the right TLC. The electronics seem quiet, but the neck is much louder than the bridge <odd for an ASAT> but I haven't had time to tweak it yet.
    I believe the place I bought it from on ebay has a return policy. This one needs more attention that I have time (or expertise) to give it but I know at least one tech that could probably make this guitar smoke. Problem is, he's f***in expensive.
    What would you do? I could easily use the cash ($700) to invest in a similar used ASAT (or another nice playing Tele). I would think work on this would be in the $100 - 200 range going by my last visit to this particular tech (nut filing, possible fret filing, setup/intonation, etc.).
    I'm quite surprised by this -- I mean, the guitar is MINT and it still have the plastic on the pickguard. Could this really be a true G&L dud direct from the factory???

2. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

If your tech is charging that much for a set up, you need a new tech.

3. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

I don't know if it's a dud from the factory, hard to believe they'd let it out in that condition based on my G&L purchases ... yeah, sounds like you need a setup as you describe but the price you quote does seem high. Intonation, setup (saddle height/radius; nut check & recut if nec.; pickup adjustment; truss rod?) sound like they're needed.

I would'nt get too alarmed, I bought my wonderful S-500 after it sat in store for a year or so and had fret sprout and high action: after a little TLC by me it was & is a killer still, 10 yrs. later.

4. Gasp100

Well, they don't reimburse shipping either way so that's $65 + whatever is costs to ship back... might as well suck it up. Damn... my MIK Rev's kill no matter what, as well as the other ASAT's bought off of ebay. I have some leads on some other techs as well so I guess I'll invest in getting this guitar playing well. Not sure what type of ebay feedback to leave though
    :BITCH
    Sure looks nice in the stand :banana

5. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I have put some effort into getting the USA G + Ls I have. I have played a number of what you could call "semi-duds" so they do exist.

I'd send it back. You have no guarantee the guitar will be transformed by these undertakings; the price is not that remarkable. If you don't have the means to quickly and cheaply transform the guitar ( like borrowing a neck off another ASAT for demo purposes ), then change it back if you aren't impressed, I think you should bail now.

I passed up a 2007 Vintage White ASAT Classic with the semi-gloss maple cap neck for $ 625 (no case) because it was not "special". The right one is out there.

Sorry.

6. Jagsound

Jagsound Member

Get your tech's opinion on it and then decide if it needs to be sent back.

Maybe the guitar just needs adjustments or maybe something worse.

Good luck

7. Chris T

Chris T Member

I have had to replace the nut on several G&Ls through the years including one I bought brand new. It doesn't surprise me a bit.

8. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

If you like the weight, the look and like the 12"radius. I'd let a couple of techs look at it. I am not one to buy a guitar without first trying it, too many variables. But it might have had issues that were correctable when it was brand new and the owner never recognized it. I would find a tech that would do it all for less than $150. If they are confident they can make it sing, then let them let it sing!

9. Gasp100

It's funny, after asking around I decided to call the place that worked on my last Tele partscaster (and DEFINITELY made it sing - for $250 :(
    This time a flat rate fee for a "STUDIO READY" - their words, not mine - complete setup including fret dressing (if needed), nut filing (replacement nut if necessary) and everything else for $125 :crazy
    I know they are good, now I'm just wondering why I paid 2x as much the first go round? Oh well, if it plays anything like the last one did when they are done with it I'll be ecstatic and it will be money well spent.
    I know this guitar has potential, I just wasn't prepared for the lame setup (or lack thereof). I should have known buying from a place called "flip it fast" :NUTS

10. Mrjoelv

Mrjoelv Member

It sounds like it will be fine after you get it set up. I bought an ASAT off of ebay that played terrible until it was dialed in and it then came back to life "so to speak." It was just neglected and looked like it was left out of it's case and never wiped down or cleaned. The strings buzzed and it felt lifeless. In my case it just needed some attention and some new strings, I picked it up for a very low price so it was worth it.

11. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

A good setup is probably all you need. The "pinched" part could be worn grooves in the saddle, a pretty minor thing. Differential volume could be a simple matter of pickup height adjustment. If not, that would concern me. My ASAT Classic was a keeper before a simple setup, became so much better afterwards. The fret dressing alone was worth the price.

12. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

Any decent tech should be able to look at and in 30 seconds tell you if a basic setup will make it sing or whether it has deeper issues. If it is unplayable, I would also talk to the vendor and maybe get reimbursed for the cost of a setup.

Shawn.