1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

G&L ASAT (tele) pickup question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by musickbox, Jul 4, 2006.

1. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

Hey, I am hopefully going to be the new owner of a G&L ASAT classic, thanks to the gearpage emporioum. I am thinking ahead of changing the pickups. Now I am new at tele world, so I need direction not necessarily specific models (unless you know exactly what I am going for). I know I definite want a vintage tone. Now I have heard many terms like "nocaster" "broadcaster", etc. I have no idea what these mean in terms of sounds. Therefore I will explain what I am trying to achieve. In the neck I definitely want a clean chime. Very Coldplay, maybe a little on the hot side without losing the chime. Also very Edge "where the streets have no name" type sound. The bridge however I need more of a rock sound (more of a hot strat single coil). Also I am a big fan of the David Gilmour tone (even though he uses a strat not a tele). So the general sound is hot tele pickups with a lot of clean chime to it, but not tooooo thin sounding. i have been a humbucker man for awhile and realize that this is a completely different sound. The artists that I mention are sounds that I run into that I wish I can play with my Heritage h157, but It doesn't sound the same. I have played on teles that have nailed those sounds, so thats why I bought one. Like I said I need some direction. Anyways let me know if you guys need to know more of what I want or gear or whatever you need to know. Thanks.

Yannick

2. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

The ASAT Classics have some nice sounding pickups; they are wound a little hotter, and sound like what you're looking for. My suggestion would be to leave the stock pups in & just play it for a while before you decide to change them... you might find they're perfect as is!

3. Mrjoelv

Mrjoelv Member

I agree with DaveG, I picked up an ASAT Classic with the intention of changing out the stock pickups but they sounded great so I left them in. It would be worth playing it with the stock pickups long enough to know what they are capable of so if you do change them out you'll know if you made a move in the right direction or not. I am thinking about adding a middle pickup to mine to expand it's tones.

4. KRosser

KRosser Member

And I'll make it three: why are you thinking of changing the pickups before you even try them?

Be sure to experiment with the height adjustments, but I think they're in the ballpark of what you're looking for.

5. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I'll make it four. The ASAT Classic p/us are an essential part of why I love playing these guitars. They're mostly Fender, but somehow not at the sametime. The neck p/u alone is an all time favorite sound for me, indispensable really. Maybe your taste will tell you different, but there's no need to start off thinking these p/us are some kind of liability. Anything but.

6. Lucky7

Lucky7 Senior Member

At least try the Asat pickups first Yannick. I like the stock pickups too so that makes me number five. You can always change them later but give them a chance!

7. Quinny

Quinny Member

The G&L MFD pickups are some of my all time favourites, great things! To me they have the best of typical Tele tone, but have some of the muscle and balls of a decent P90. You should definitely give them some time before thinking of replacements. Additionally, the 3 pickup G&L ASATs have some great Strat type tone in them... given the tonal areas you say you're aiming at I would highly recommend you check one out if possible.

Q.

8. wilder

wilder Member

I changed out a Duncan in my Warmoth Tele for an ASAT Classic neck pickup. G&L pickups are great.

9. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I'd love to get a g&L neck pup so if you change drop me a PM.

10. frankthomson

frankthomson Member

make me a 5th! :AOK

excellent pups!

but if u gotta swap :NUTS , ......try a set of Fender orig 52's

:)

11. HHB

HHB Member

I loved the MFD's in the ASAT classic I had, it was just a tad heavy for my use but the pickups impressed the crap outta me, I'm actually considering buying a set of the S-500 style for one of my stratoids, I think you'll love em

12. tcforec

tcforec Member

I have a '91 ASAT Classic and those pu's are a big reason why people love G&L's. You gotta remember what the letters "G&L" stand for....those guys knew single coil tone. The MFD's are great too.

13. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

It looks like I'm #11 here. Those pups are nothing to sneeze at. I always play a guitar for a while before making a pup change.

Enjoy playing it!

14. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I hate to be the turd in this punchbowl, but I don't like the ASAT Classic pickups at all. They have a harsh edge I don't like. For years I've been thinking of buying a Classic and swapping out the pickups for alnico Tele-style.

The Soapbar pickups in the ASAT Special – now that's another story.

I'm not the guy to ask about Tele replacement P/Us because I've never bought them. That said, it's my understanding that they don't all fit the same. I think some require additional routing while others fit as-is.

Suggest you try asking this question on the G&L Discussion Page.

15. musickbox

I see what you guys are saying. I read a lot about how they weren't that great and they are better pickups out there. Also I like the sound of anilco magnets (which the G&L are ceremic) but I found this in humbuckers not single coil (never play on them). I will give it a couple of weeks before I decide to change them.

I know I am changing the subject but can I add a middle pickup to the ASAT (if I would I would put a strat-type pu)?. I thought you can ruin the guitar if you did that.

THanks for the input.

16. KRosser

KRosser Member

No, though you will ruin (as in, put a big new hole in) the pickguard. If you don't like the middle pickup, you can always get a new pickguard and reverse it back to stock. The routing you'd have to do in the body would be minimal enough to have little lasting effect, I would think.

17. musickbox

Actually i love the sound of the middle pickup. I was going to buy a Fender Deluxe before I found this G&L. I would do it. I just don't trust any luthiers in my town. Who can do this kind of job?

18. KRosser

KRosser Member

Me too! And now that I have it, I'd feel naked without it...

[​IMG]

I should think there would be a reputable luthier somewhere in Miami...call around and get some referrals, though.

19. musickbox

Gorgeous guitars. I saw on your website you have a tele style humbucker guitar. Did you get that one off ebay? I saw one just like it and I almost bought it, but didn't have the cash.

20. KRosser

KRosser Member

That's a Michael Spalt guitar. I had Michael make that for me. I sold it when I got Saul to make me two guitars. Maybe that one eventually made its way to ebay...

The site needs to be updated! Unfortunately, I have to rely on my lovely & talented but very busy and very distant (New Zealand) sister-in-law to do it, and she hasn't been able to get to it...

I'm definitely better at updating the 'myspace' deal on my own...I should put gear pics up there...