• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

G&L Ascari... any new or revised opinions?

ballhawk

Silver Supporting Member
Just like in "The Godfather" I was made an offer I couldn't refuse and stupidly bought one sight unseen after doing as much online research as I could.

This has HH pups not P-90.

I do have a return option but hoping it will be moot.

From the description, this hits all my needs in the 24.75 scale category. Specifically the neck profile appeals to me.

Therefore I invite any and all to chime in.

pickdropper

I am Soldering Iron Man
Vendor
I had the Ascari with the P90s. I thought it was a great guitar for the money. The hardware was particularly nice for a guitar at that price point.

Ultimately, I sold mine for a couple of reasons. The slim, flattened D shape neck isn't ideal (although I could certainly make it work) and it covered a lot of the ground my Les Paul Special does and I like the LP a bit better.

Still, I thought it was a fantastic value.

ballhawk

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks pickdropper. I have big hands and fairly fat fingers (should have taken up harmonica ;)) but I get along very well with slim neck profiles in general so I don't anticipate that issue.

Curious though, the descriptions I saw stated that the neck was a slim C iirc.

ballhawk

Silver Supporting Member
Following up on this in case anyone might want my take on this guitar (there must be others here who own one :dunno) It is preliminary because I have not even plugged it in yet but here goes.

Out of the box from the delivery truck. Visual inspection reveals everything is good with the exception of binding on the neck from the 7th fret down to about the 14Th; has very slight ripple in it. So slight you can't feel it and I had to look closely under the light to find it. A non-issue for me because...

I tweaked the truss rod about 1/8th of a turn to get a hair more relief. It was very close to being dead straight and I need a little bit more for my style. Still only about a high e string or so of height after I was done.

Tweaked the bridge height down slightly. I then probably went back and forth a few times with tiny truss rod/bridge adjustments as it settled in. I doubt that in the end I did any serious deviation from where it was out of the box but nonetheless some adjustment.

Played it for about 30 minutes unplugged. Had to stretch strings a few times but it eventually dialed in.

It feels wonderful and I heard resonance and a good bit of sustain even that way.

I like the neck but it does feel like more of a D than a slim C profile. However, I would still categorize it as a slim feeling neck not a baseball bat.

The nut slots will have to be lowered but, again, they are only slightly high, which is pretty normal for any guitar that is new.

The only other thing I might do is add some fallaway to the upper frets because playing from 14th fret on up I heard some rattles when I hit them hard. I would bet they might even be unnoticeable when amplified.

All in all, for the price I got (under $300), it certainly represents very good value.

Assuming I like the pickups it will be an excellent deal for what I want and need.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom