G&L Bluesboy dealers with wider string spacing guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Badfrog, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Badfrog

Badfrog Member

As far as I know, G&L does offer two necks that have string spacing wider than 1 5/8". I think they are called Plus C (1 11/16" string spacing) and Wide C (1 3/4"). I wouldn't mind getting a Bluesboy but only if I could get one in that spec (and I don't feel like having to special order one). However, I've searched ebay and reverb and have yet to come across anyone selling a model with string spacing other than 1 5/8". I'm a bit surprised that G&L and their dealers don't feel there's enough demand to produce Bluesboys featuring something other than the narrow string spacing at the nut.

Anyone know of any dealers/sellers that have the Bluesboy with the wider string spacing??

2. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

3. Badfrog

Badfrog Member

Yeah, I search thru them all, of those that would tell you about the neck, none had the wider string spacing. I get the feeling it's strictly a special order deal. No one is able to stock them (otherwise I think somebody would).

4. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Did you call them? Or email them?

Be a little freakin' proactive.

5. Badfrog

Badfrog Member

Relax, I did send them a message. But otherwise I've yet to find any source with wider string spacing. Looks like I'll have to special order and if that's the case I might as well have King Bee build me one at the same price.

6. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

What did they say? Just curious

7. SouthpawGuy

SouthpawGuy Member

You could ask or message them on their FB page ... https://www.facebook.com/GnLguitars/

I asked about a serial # from an early F100 a few months back, Dave McLaren himself replied

Flyin' Brian likes this.
  8. Badfrog

Badfrog Member

Haven't heard back yet.

Flyin' Brian likes this.
  9. S1Player

S1Player Member

I've kept an eye out for any extra wide G&L necks (1 3/4" nut) and haven't seen any come up used. And, only very rarely from a G&L dealer. I think you'd have to special order.

A couple other options:

1. Musikraft makes a 1 11/16" replacement neck for the G&L. So, you could buy a blues boy and swap necks.
    2. If you could live with the way it plays - you could have another nut put on a 1 5/8" or 1 11/16" (or 1 3/4") and have the string spacing cut wider than stock. I have a 1 3/4" neck on a guitar cut with strings pacing like a 1 7/8" nut. I think it works very well.

10. TwoToneGreen

TwoToneGreen Member

In my experience, the vast majority of dealers use the standard neck option for their orders.

Upfront Guitars seem to take a more curated approach to their selection. They tend to have more interesting stock than the larger stores, even on ebay, which buy many multiples with the same specs - Music Store Live certainly did this historically.

11. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Believe it or not, there's more freedom today in G + L neck width at the nut than there had been at any time previous. They did a true 1 + 5/8ths and the only consolation was the neck was so much wider at the heel than a FMIC style guitar that above the 6th fret, you were still in hog heaven with a USA G + L.

They've tried to branch out I think but old habits die hard. It doesn't help that fewer and fewer guitar stores stock much of anything. It is going hard against the grain to insist upon unusual features on a USA G + L. It means you almost certainly will order it bespoke and it almost certainly will cost you top money. If you dislike it when it arrives you're in big angst.

I force myself to accept the 1 + 5/8ths nut width and the 6100 fretwire - I just find those with that raw specification that are more playable in general terms and make adjustments. Then I can spend $ 750 and not $ 1,250.00. I guess I could place a nut with a wider string array on there but so far in about 10 years it hasn't happened to one of them. I have leveled and crowned and dressed these frets tho, some more than once.