• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

G&L Bluesboy or Fender Baja Tele?

jefrobie

Silver Supporting Member
Long story I won't go into, but the scenario is I have a chance to buy back a G&L Bluesboy (US made) for $775 in mint condition, or buy a mint Fender Baja for $650. I wandered into the "tele" zone, used the bluesboy as a trade for another guitar but realize that nothing really replaces that tele type guitar. I've not played a Baja... What do you think? I've heard great reviews on that Baja....(really like my Bluesboy also..) :argue

tnvol

Ufologist
Silver Supporting Member
G&L all the way. I love my Bluesboy. I've never played a Tele that can touch it.

Hey Jeff:
Funny how things work out. I have a good friend with several Baja teles that he really likes a lot. He's also a big G&L fan and I don't think he would go for the Baja at the price it's being offered over your G&L. Heck, as you know if I hadn't had to bail out my sister with car repairs I'd own your Bluesboy to go with the one I already own. You can probably sit for a bit and find a nice Baja for a bit less money. I'm going to be looking for a Baja myself as they are nice and I will be deploying to a non guitar friendly spot later this year and don't want to take something I'd feel too bad about losing or having it destroyed. Good luck with either decision. Steve

bek

Perhaps a partscaster or something a little out-of-the-ordinary, like a Hamer T-51 or Washburn Laredo? Probably as good or better guitar, for about the same outlay as a used Baja. Of course, the Hamer and Washburn are only findable used, but they are something, and at least you don't see them everywhere.

Last edited:

Blue Light

Hoo boy. Tough call. Two very good guitars.
I'm kind of shocked to see Bajas retailing for $1,000.
But I've seen some sweet Bluesboys and I've always wanted one. Be my my pick, between the two.

Gasp100

Gold Supporting Member
Wow, definitely G&L vs. Fender day. I owned two Bluesboys and several ASAT's. Very cool guitars. I now own a Baja and imho the Bluesboy/ASAT's can't touch the neck on the Baja... The pups in the Baja are the Twisted Tele (neck) and Broadcaster (bridge). It's a killer combo. But the neck is the shining star on this guitar - 9.5" radius, medium jumbo frets. I guess you know the neck on the G&L already so it may work better for you, but the Baja that I have nails the fat Maple neck Tele vibe all the way, no contest. The Bluesboy is a great guitar, but not nearly as traditional or with that special "something".
Oh yeah, watch the weight on the Baja, mine is 7.25lbs but they are notoriusly heavy from what I understand.

jefrobie

Silver Supporting Member
Good input. I have a couple of days to make the call. Either the Bluesboy @ $775 or the Baja @ $650. Both are mint. Folks who have played both are welcome to help out!

wrxplayer

Silver Supporting Member
Bluesboy. No question. The humbucker neck/tele bridge pickup tele is the closest thing to a perfect guitar that I've encountered (mine's a Fender version).

derekd

Gold Supporting Member
Bluesboy. No question. The humbucker neck/tele bridge pickup tele is the closest thing to a perfect guitar that I've encountered (mine's a Fender version).
I agree. Mine's a Nash, but I almost bought a BB before I bought the Nash. I would never hesitate to pick up a G&L tele if the price was right. Good luck.

wrxplayer

Silver Supporting Member
One question you should ask: If you got the Fender, would you use the neck pickup much? Most tele players (from a question I posed here two week ago) use the bridge pup the great majority of the time (also why Esquires remain very popular). I love all three positions on my "Keef" tele.

jefrobie

Silver Supporting Member
Mostly I found myself using the bridge or the combo bridge/neck. Not sure if that position splits the humbucker on the bluesboy or not. I think both would be good, it's just there is a "tele" hole right now & the Baja can be bought for $125 less...Most reviews on them I've read are pretty stellar as well as the bluesboys...

These are both very fair buys; if the Bluesboy includes the factory case that's a great buy.

Still, play them both through a couple amps and just buy the one that makes you smile. The CP Baja is my favorite MIM. Amongst USA ASATs, I actually like most of the others better - while the SD neck pup is a very close match, there's inherent conflict (IMO) in the output of the neck and bridge pickups on this model. I like the Custom Classic much better.

Groberts

Gold Supporting Member
Kicking thread to the top ..just wondering what choice the OP made? Bluesboy or Baja. That is a tough call. I am researching BluesBoy ASAT's because my local GC just got a sweet used, but mint Bluesboy in stock. I was shocked at how well balanced the HB neck PU was with the middle switch position and the bridge pu. Very well balanced and the neck HB was not too dark or warm, which many can be. This Bluesboy made me go; Hmmmmm ...Because I've been obsessed with standard Single Coil Tele's since I got my Squier Classic Vibe Custom (CVC).

I've been eying Baja Tele's too since it would be nice to have an Ash/Maple Tele. But that Bluesboy was surprisingly 'right' in most every way. Sounded better than most of the other Tele's in the store. Maybe not 'quite' as vintage or classic sounding as a Fender Tele (a good one) But with nothing to compare to, that Bluesboy really had it all, and sure sounds like a Tele to me. But it can get nice and jazzy and bluesy too with the neck HB.

DavidMgT

In my opinion it is not even remotely close. The ASAT Bluesboy is leaps and bounds better in terms of build, materials, electronics, f&f, playability and tone than the Baja Tele.

jlf2960

I have an ASAT Classic and a Baja Tele and I play the ASAT a lot more. Can't comment on the Bluesboy neck pick up but I believe its the same body and neck as the Classic. I prefer the medium C neck on the ASAT over the Baja but the Baja has nicer higher profile frets. Baja also has a really fat neck with a soft V carve.

Soundwise I find the Baja to be a little brighter and snappier sounding than my ASAT. Build quality-wise the ASAT has the edge although the Baja Tele is a solid guitar. If you are looking for versitility, I agree with the previous posters to go with the Bluesboy.

cnicholson06

Bluesboy wins ever single day. Not only is the middle position to die for along with the full humbucker and the bridge. But if you get it modded a little and get a coil-tapped humbucker and 4 or 5 switch you can turn that amazing humbucker into both humbucker and single coil and it's the perfect tele. Do it. And if it's semi-hollow do it even faster.

I have an ASAT Classic and a Baja Tele and I play the ASAT a lot more. Can't comment on the Bluesboy neck pick up but I believe its the same body and neck as the Classic. I prefer the medium C neck on the ASAT over the Baja but the Baja has nicer higher profile frets. Baja also has a really fat neck with a soft V carve.

Soundwise I find the Baja to be a little brighter and snappier sounding than my ASAT. Build quality-wise the ASAT has the edge although the Baja Tele is a solid guitar. If you are looking for versitility, I agree with the previous posters to go with the Bluesboy.

I agree with almost everything you're saying, but I think this is a closer match than virtually any other MIM fender guitar, honestly. Of course the G + L build quality is a order of magnitude better, but I like the neck section and fret size and tuner style of the Baja better. And, when the pickups of the Baja are used in series I think you have a sound that suits me better than the neck pickup of the Bluesboy does.

Top Bottom