G&L Comanche and/or S-500....any opinions?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by somedude, Jun 30, 2006.

1. somedude

somedude Member

I'm looking at getting a Comanche, which is basically an S-500 with goofy looking noiseless single coils.

Anyway, I'm looking at getting an ash body with maple cap and maple neck/fretboard. I'm wondering how the maple cap will affect the tone of the guitar?

Also, does anyone have any opinions on the Z pickups used on those guitars?

2. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

I think there is a soundclip of the Zcoils on the G&L site. I wouldn't get them if you want to be able to approach a "strat" sound. If you just dig killer guitars and enjoy grooving to your own unique sounds, the Zcoils are awesome. I went with the S500 for a slightly more traditional sound.

As to the maple... Johnny Ramone said "you play 'em loud enough and they all start sounding the same". Personally it sounds like you'll be adding weight to an already potentially heavy guitar what with the ash...

3. frankthomson

frankthomson Member

the commanche is the ultimate killing machine....waaaaay too much power for me

but in the hands of an expert, it's prob the ONLY guitar you'd ever need

jmmfo

4. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

I really liked the Z-coils on the Comanche. Nice variety of sounds, lots of sensitivity and control.

5. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

I would call the tone of the Comanche modern or hi-fi or flat sounding. If you're seeking classic scooped mid Strat tones I'd look elsewhere....but the Comanche is a decent guitar in its own right. The Z pickups are quiet & strong almost P90'ish sounding. Is it a good fit for you? Only you can answer that question.

6. Alister

Alister Supporting Member

Across 30 years or so, this has been my experience, too, yes.

7. somedude

somedude Member

Although the Comanche I'm looking at isn't the lightest Strat I've ever played, it was also far from the heaviest.

Anyway, I think I'm going to work out a deal for the Comanche.....it has a killer neck on it. If I later decide I'm not into the tone of the Zcoils I can always swap pickguards......but I'd be kicking myself if I let that neck get away.

8. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

I don't doubt you'll be happy. The Zcoils are one of the best choices out there especially if you are the kind of guy who likes to dial in a clean amp sound, and then use stomp boxes to get different tones. G&L pickguards are certainly available, so the sky is the limit if it turns out you want a change. Good luck on workin' a killer deal! Hope you totally rip 'em off!:BEER The neck on my S500 also fits me like a glove, so I know what you are referring to.

9. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I don't like the Z-coils, just not my style. Too clean. But I think with certain FX they might be very cool.